Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brass Cleaner

Brass Cleaner

Is there a product like Evaporust for brass? I'm specifically looking for something to soak brass items in for cleaning. I know about Brasso but Brasso requires a lot of hand rubbing. I want some product that I can soak the brass items in and have them come out "clean" with the corrosion removed, even if they're not shiny.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Salt and vinegar mixture will make it sparkle.
    Works on copper also.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I've used a mix of Spic-N-Span and ammonia for years, for things like dipping old tubas in the bathtub. Had less success with the salt/vinegar thing, but maybe I didn't get the proportions right--or didn't use it right-- is it a dip or are you talking about making a rubbing paste of it? The ammonia dip treatment won't make the brass shiny, you'll get a clean, dull brass look, but it will remove the oxidation layer and quickly bring it to a point where it's easy to polish.

I use a buffer and red rouge. The Baldwin lockset and knocker on this rental house had peeling and flaking lacquer on it that felt terrible. I got all that off and buffed it at the same time on a buffer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Geez Tom, that sure is a beautiful entrance!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I've used a mix of Spic-N-Span and ammonia for years, for things like dipping old tubas in the bathtub.
    Be very careful doing this. Some varieties of Spic and Span contain bleach. Mixing it with ammonia could be lethal.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Be very careful doing this. Some varieties of Spic and Span contain bleach. Mixing it with ammonia could be lethal.

jtk
    I'm only a biologist, but I know at least that much chemistry! I'm still working on a 20 year old box of spic and span, from before there was more than one kind, For all I know they've changed the formula to eliminate the phosphates (it used to be largely trisodium phosphate) and it may no longer work. Ammonia is the key ingredient for brass de-tarnishing.

Blog Entries
    I'm only a biologist, but I know at least that much chemistry!
    Great, hopefully now a few more folks do.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Brasso is the traditional retail product to use for this.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Concoctions aside....
    I use my Dillon case tumbler to clean things like brass pieces/parts.

An hour in there and they come out looking great. No muss/no fuss/no having to rinse & then dry anything off.

Harbor Freight, Midway and a few other places see cheaper versions.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Brasso is the traditional retail product to use for this.
    Yep, I'm familiar with Brasso, having served in the Army. I'd like to find a product that I can soak brass parts in, similar to the way you can soak rusted parts in Evaporust.

Mikw
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Try ketchup ...really.
    I place my copper bottom RevereWare pots upside down and smear cheap ketchup all over the copper and let it sit for an hour or so.
    The I rinse the ketchup off and most of the oxidation is gone, I'd say at least 90%.
    I then use a copper polish with a little elbow grease (not too much is needed) to shine it up. Brasso would work in the final step also but I don't care for Brasso.
    (Just using the polish without the ketchup pre-treatment would be a lot of hard polishing)
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Thanks for the suggestion, Patty. I'll give it a try. I suppose it's the acid in ketchup.

Mike

https://www.thereloadingstation.com/...uice-case-wash

I wet tumble reloading brass. This stuff gets it very shiny. I would try this 4 oz or so to the gallon of warm water.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, Patty. I'll give it a try. I suppose it's the acid in ketchup.

Mike
    Yep...it's pretty much like the vinegar w/ salt that you make a paste of (lemon juice would work too).
    But getting the paste the right consistency so it doesn't "fall off" is hit or miss (I got frustrated trying to get it right) .
    The ketchup is already "pre-mixed" and pretty much stays put, even on the sides (if you don't put it on too thick).
    And the longer it sits there the more it dries out (but stays wet in the middle a little longer), so then it really stays put.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”