Thread: Tinting Epoxy

Tinting Epoxy

I'm a little behind the times and learning curve in using epoxy for filling holes, knots, defects, etc. Been using wood flour & glue and various commercial fillers for this purpose for many years. So, I'm purchasing quarts of West System resin and hardener to start the epoxy journey. I've been working on some projects with walnut and cherry. Question, what products do I use to color the epoxy? Any tips or suggestions appreciated. (Note: I am not building river tables, just filling knots, defects and small repairs.)

I use Transtint dye to color resin. There are also products designed specifically for that from the various resin vendors.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like Mixol. The #1 black regardless of wood species.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck van dyck View Post
    I like Mixol. The #1 black regardless of wood species.
    Or espresso-grind French Roast.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I prefer used coffee grounds to fill knot holes and dark colored spots. It makes a variegated color and the hole doesn't look like it was filled with plastic.

I got some powdered graphite from a manufacturer of graphite in KY, years ago I did product training at. I mix it in when I mix, it makes it black. Brian

i use dry painter's pigment - all kinds of colors - and mixing them to get right to color you need. https://gamblincolors.com/oil-painti.../dry-pigments/
    i mix the color in the resin and then add the hardener,
    jc
    jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I prefer used coffee grounds to fill knot holes and dark colored spots. It makes a variegated color and the hole doesn't look like it was filled with plastic.
    So what do type of binder are you mixing with the coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by jerry cousins View Post
    i use dry painter's pigment - all kinds of colors - and mixing them to get right to color you need. https://gamblincolors.com/oil-painti.../dry-pigments/
    i mix the color in the resin and then add the hardener,
    jc
    When you mix in the hardener do you use the amount you would have used without any pigment added (1:1 Hardener to Resin), or do you take into account the added volume of the pigment and adjust the hardener amount accordingly?
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

i use the same amount of hardener - the dry (dust) pigment does not really add to the mass.
    jc
    jerry

i use both Mixol and transint for epoxy, and both work. the mixol feels as though it's more soluble in the epoxy, but both definitely work.

India ink has worked well for me.

I have used a few colored tints for kids projects and they have all been "ehh" some took a large quantity to start turning the overall pour. Transtint is extremely effective at filling. I havent used mixol