Thread: Veritas PM-V11 mortise chisels discontinued?

Veritas PM-V11 mortise chisels discontinued?

I have a set of the Veritas PM-V11 mortise chisels, with the exception of the 3/8” chisel which I’ve been tracking on the Lee Valley web site. Been back ordered forever. Logged in today and saw that they are no longer available. Only A2 steel now. Anyone know why?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Your best bet is to ask LV customer service directly. My guess is continued supply chain issues affecting the raw materials.

Well, since Rob is a fairly frequent poster here, and we talk about LV frequently (almost uniformly positive), this seems like a good place to ask.

Blog Entries
    This may be a round about and more expensive way to acquire one > https://www.canadiantools.co.uk/prod...el-3-8-105148/

You may have to contact them to make sure it is in stock.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If they are having trouble getting the raw materials with no good prediction of when the materials will be available, it would be smart to remove a product from the website just to keep the long line of unfilled customer orders from continuing to lengthen. Personally, I'd call LV to find out.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Their site lists two material choices, but only one is currently available for purchase. Likely, they are out of suitable material. A call would clear things up.

Personally, after using A2 (Blue Spruce,) I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a quality A2 mortise chisel. I prefer quality high carbon steel for paring, but A2 will do well chopping so long as you are intentional about edge prep.

John's correct. I road tested the Veritas mortice chisels before production. I had A2 and PM-V11. I chopped many metres of mortices. The PM-V11 may be better at holding an edge than the A2, but I could not tell this in a real world test, as neither became dull. They both just soldiered on and on ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Their site lists two material choices, but only one is currently available for purchase. Likely, they are out of suitable material. A call would clear things up.

Personally, after using A2 (Blue Spruce,) I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a quality A2 mortise chisel. I prefer quality high carbon steel for paring, but A2 will do well chopping so long as you are intentional about edge prep.
    Having used both A2 steel and PMv-11, my preference is for the PMv-11. It is easier to sharpen and less likely to chip.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'm showing that both A2 and PMV11 are not available. Interesting.

Mortise Chisels

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    I have a set of the Veritas PM-V11 mortise chisels, with the exception of the 3/8” chisel which I’ve been tracking on the Lee Valley web site. Been back ordered forever. Logged in today and saw that they are no longer available. Only A2 steel now. Anyone know why?
    Hi Tom -

The A2 were discontinued so we could concentrate on the PM-V11 version. A few weeks ago, our cost to produce the PM-V11 exceeded the retail price - so we are going to stop taking orders. It is likely that we will reinstate the A2 version.

We will be filling all currently ordered chisels though - just working through that now.

They may be back in future - but we have to look at our processes to find some production efficiency. I do NOT want to be selling $200 chisels.

Cheers -

Rob

Thanks Rob. Is it only the Mortise Chisels that are experiencing the issue, or all PM-V11 products?

Regards,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Tom -

The A2 were discontinued so we could concentrate on the PM-V11 version. A few weeks ago, our cost to produce the PM-V11 exceeded the retail price - so we are going to stop taking orders. It is likely that we will reinstate the A2 version.

We will be filling all currently ordered chisels though - just working through that now.

They may be back in future - but we have to look at our processes to find some production efficiency. I do NOT want to be selling $200 chisels.

Cheers -

Rob

I figured it was all guesswork until Rob showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Thanks Rob. Is it only the Mortise Chisels that are experiencing the issue, or all PM-V11 products?

Regards,

Greg
    Hi Greg -

Just the mortise chisels.... though the raw material also went up on other PM-V11 product, there were offsetting production efficiency gains...

Cheers -

Rob

Rob - Thanks for the explanation, and good luck with the production and input prices. Inflation is rough.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry