Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magnetic Drill for Woodworking

IMO, I think you need to pump the brakes and rethink what you're after.
    You want to bore some a 2+" deep hole into some sheet goods, far from the edge.
    A router and properly sized template is what most of us would use.
    You seem to be trying to attain extremely tight tolerances, can we ask why?

2 1/2" bit shown, Amazon, easy
    IMG_6194 (600 x 400).jpg
    If you're concerned about .25mm (.009") variance, you're using the wrong material. Insert a metal bushing to achieve those tolerances.

We're only trying to help but more info is needed.

For people following this discussion, I fully documented my project in the following thread, which also contains a demo video:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....s-a-work-bench

Dam dude! 10 mil runout at the end of a crazy long spade bit is nothing to complain about! You just add errors measuring runout anywhere but at the taper.

I've seen mag drills that really were dropped on the chuck, that's your setup, not a flaw in the drill.

(as an aside, I even remembered the password I haven't used in 10+ years )

If you read my post carefully, the 10 mil runout was right at the chuck itself. The runout at the end of the crazy long spade bit was something like 1/8". The mag drill was obviously dropped on concrete multiple times by renters who didn't care. My second mag drill rental went perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    If you read my post carefully, the 10 mil runout was right at the chuck itself. The runout at the end of the crazy long spade bit was something like 1/8". The mag drill was obviously dropped on concrete multiple times by renters who didn't care. My second mag drill rental went perfectly.
    Fair enough - I'm definitely guilty of not reading closely.

10 mil at the chuck is bad, but not as bad as I've seen from repeated drops. In most cases a mag drill is not considered a precision instrument so I would say that is at the outer limit of acceptable, and not surprising from a rental tool. You got lucky with the desk guy if they gave you a refund.

The other thing to watch for with mag drills is a weak magnet. People don't seem to know that they are designed to be used on a minimum thickness steel (varies by size and manufacturer, but say around 3/8" plate). Thinner than that and the bit pressure can lift the magnet off if you have some white knuckle rental gitter dun type users. Eventually the magnet weakens from over heating - over heating thins the shellac on the windings and current can leak across. At least that was what I came up with to make sense of it - the reasoning could be an utter big story, but the effect is still something I've seen with mag drills that were rode hard and put away wet.

It was great for this kind of job. Sensitive steering linkage under three layers of 1/4" steel the 3/4" bit had to go through. This one has not been abused. 5,500 lb. test marine lifting ring installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom,

That's a healthy mag drill.
    Glad I don't have to lift it

Makes changing blades easier and safer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing like having your own tractor
    I have the large Baileigh mag drill but have not used it yet, not sure how I can handle the weight these days. Inside my shop I have an overhead winch that I use to lift my lawn mower up to sharpen blades like you do and a whole host of other tasks.

I just ordered a pallet fork attachment that will be used as a lifting boom so I can move stuff in and out of the second floor shop office window.
    I just can't haul heavy or bulky stuff up and down the stairs anymore. I hope that it will also help me load 12 foot long solid surface sheets into my shop panel saw from the roll up door. I don't have a helper anymore so I have to change the way I have been working so I can still get things done or shut down my sign shop permanently.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-18-2023 at 11:01 AM.

Keith, even commercial bridge cranes don't cost That much. I would think one would pay for itself pretty quickly with your sign business. I'm intending to put one in that shop out of components and steel that I get delivered for no shipping cost, but it's so full of stuff that I have to add on more space than is already there so I have somewhere to move stuff out to be able to install the parts.

The nice thing about mag drills is that they don't take up any appreciable space and they are portable machines