Thread: What is this?

What is this?

I was planning to make a lamp but thought to get some opinions as to what it is. It has been around my home for 30+ years and we have no idea where from. It stands 12" tall and the only damage is the soldered in bottom is missing.

Brass Vase.jpg

Art Newvau or Art Deco thing that probably held pencils , change ,and medicine .

think its early Art Vandelay.

It’s actually a cloisonné vase. Soft brass wires are used to create a design by soldering them on to the form of the vase. The colored spaces are filled with enamel, the piece is fired and the surface is ground smooth and polished. Made in either China or Japan - a ton of this stuff, some not so good, came back to the US post WWII.

It may or may not be worth something, depending on age, origin and design. Usually has dragons, peacocks and flowers in the design.

Cloistered, probably middle eastern design. Brian

Or perhaps it is an ancient Babylonian funerary jar - if so, be careful if you rub too hard!
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    . I see what you did there.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I thought it was Art Vanderlay….but if I’m wrong, remember, an R …can be rolled….away

Well those are some interesting replies, thanks. I tried a google image search. That's am amazing tool! My vase appears to be one of many many similar cloisonné vases made around 100 years ago in Japan. Currently available for $100 to $400. It'll make a nice lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Art Vanderlay lives on !!! 2 funny