Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Am I the jerk here?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Baney View Post
    I have two narex mortise chisels and their parallelogram geometry makes it impossible to chop a rectangular mortise. They're visibly out. Some may be ok with this, but I am not.
    This is why I favor English mortise chisels (“pigstickers”) over sash mortise chisels. Besides being beefier, they are designed with a trapezoidal shape so machinist-level tolerances are unnecessary.
    Mark Maleski

Still trying to deal with $150 for a 1/4" chisel...

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Still trying to deal with $150 for a 1/4" chisel...
    Then don’t. I’m not some anomaly. Woodworkers regularly spend 125 on lie nielsen chisels and I think Veritas is in the same range. I feel the IBC has noteworthy improvements over those so I’ll pay for those.

Personally I don't see where the price is relevant. Whether the chisel was $20 or $200, your issue seems to be that what you received did not live up to what the seller promised. Sounds like the customer service was lacking which added insult to injury.

Just out of curiosity, if the seller's advertising had promised tolerances more in line with what you received would you have purchased the chisels in the first place?
    If yes, then I'd say get over it, and if no, then I see why you're disillusioned.

I feel when sellers promise super high quality standards, they are basically setting their own bar and recruiting discriminating customers. It should not be a surprise if they are held to task for shortfalls.
    Just one more person's $.02 here.

You were absolutely not being a jerk in the least - and anyone calling your report a rant should be flat out ashamed for doing so. Obviously they source their tooling out ( probably with the usual culprits in China ) and got a batch of defectively milled mortise chisels. Rather than taking the loss and keeping customers happy, they did what they did ( shameful). Pathetic they could not find even 1 chisel to match their marketing claims.

You guys can't let this dead horse rest in peace?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You guys can't let this dead horse rest in peace?
    It is an all to familiar yet never ending story of a product being hyped beyond reality and a customer who is not happy when the product not being all it was promised to be.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"Buyer beware"? Seems to be time to Archive this thread...and move on....

"Never Ending Story"......wasn't there a movie or two by that name?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    "Buyer beware"? Seems to be time to Archive this thread...and move on....

"Never Ending Story"......wasn't there a movie or two by that name?
    It seemed to have gone to rest two days ago, now that you bring it to our attention.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It seemed to have gone to rest two days ago, now that you bring it to our attention.

jtk
    Wait, is it over? Did I miss the ending? Who was the Jerk?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Wait, is it over? Did I miss the ending? Who was the Jerk?
    Prince Harry.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Prince Harry.
    Good idea Kent. Let's make this into a political statement about jerks and that will get it killed. Smart!

This is the thread that doesn't end
    Yes, it goes on and on, my friend
    Some people started reading it not knowing what it was
    And they′ll continue reading it forever just because

and repeat

sorry, couldn't resist

Hobbyist woodworker
    Maryland

Just stopping in to see if we can get to seven pages.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Good idea Kent. Let's make this into a political statement about jerks and that will get it killed. Smart!

Well, as per the Constitution of the UK, Royalty is not permitted to engage in politics, so by definition I didn't make - nay, couldn't make - a political statement. Don't let facts get in your way, though.

The Royals are, however, apparently allowed to have whiny entitled children and miscreant brothers who come to The Colonies to suck up the tabloid oxygen. To my amusement. Hence Prince Harry as a reasonable reply to Edward's question.

See you in the funny papers.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.