Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low friction plastic in shooting board

Low friction plastic in shooting board

I watched a couple shooting board videos that used a low friction plastic material for the plane to slide over, but they didn't identify the material. Nylon?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcVK5wLSPOw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VsyqVr8Gc

It doesn't look to be Nylon to me, normally Nylon is a bit less opaque and more yellow than bright white, but would work. That material looks to be Delrin (Acetal) which is widely available, machines well, and has a very low friction coefficient. It's available in white and black, in blocks, profiles, and sheets. We use a fair bit of it at work. (It's also great electrical insulator. I design high voltage equipment for a living). We don't use thin sheets of it or I'd offer to send you some.

Small pieces of it are available through McMaster-Carr. It's pricey, but not as much as some other plastics.

There are other choices as well, High Density Polyethylene would work

To be honest, I think that waxed birch plywood wouldn't be noticeably different.

DC

Quote Originally Posted by David Carroll View Post
    ......... material looks to be Delrin (Acetal) which .......available through McMaster-Carr..........
    Looks to be, but it ain't. UHMW [ultra-high-molecular weight] is Delrin's local cousin - it inhabits our part of the time-space continuum, rather Delrin which eases the way for giant machines. etc.

Even better - it is much less costly, will do this job perfectly, and it comes in adhesive-backed tapes of many widths and thicknesses. You don't need to build up a screw-on platform, just use tape, I use the tape - over time it gets a bit torn, so I scrape it off and replace. No screws needed, so don't need it thick enough to accept countersunk fasteners

McM-C tape page:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/ad...~uhmw-plastic/

If you want to use solid material, they have that also.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/uh...rs-and-strips/
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I built one out of Corian but don't see a lot of difference over wooden ones. I ended up using wax on both types. Renaissance wax is quite slippery.

It's UHMWPE. I have some tape from 3M made of the stuff. It's about 0.060" thick with adhesive backing. I lined my shooting board with it.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 05-25-2023 at 6:15 AM. Reason: Corrected Tape Material
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Radu Tenenbaum View Post
    I watched a couple shooting board videos that used a low friction plastic material for the plane to slide over, but they didn't identify the material. Nylon?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcVK5wLSPOw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VsyqVr8Gc
    Radu, you do not need - or benefit - from special low friction material on a shooting board runway. All you need is wax.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    All you need is wax.
    Sounds like a Beatles song. But it is true, candle wax, canning wax or bee's wax all work well.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    It's HDPE. I have some tape from 3M made of the stuff. It's about 0.060" thick with adhesive backing. I lined my shooting board with it.
    Me too. I have 2 shooting boards - one Baltic birch for end grain and a Maple ply 4 footer with an adjustable fence for long grain. Both board’s tracks are lined with HDPE. Woodcraft carries rolls of self-adhesive 1 1/2” and 3” HDPE. Zero maintenance and functions like new after 15+ years. Is it absolutely necessary? No. But why deal with periodic waxing when a one time solution is available?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Me too. I have 2 shooting boards - one Baltic birch for end grain and a Maple ply 4 footer with an adjustable fence for long grain. Both board’s tracks are lined with HDPE. Woodcraft carries rolls of self-adhesive 1 1/2” and 3” HDPE. Zero maintenance and functions like new after 15+ years. Is it absolutely necessary? No. But why deal with periodic waxing when a one time solution is available?

A 4' long shooting board? Interesting- got a pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    A 4' long shooting board? Interesting- got a pic?
    Got the idea from an article by one of the Walke-Moore guys. Can’t recall if it was in a publication or a blogpost. Customized it for my needs.
    60E50BAA-1B5A-4E1C-AB53-266C0C96CB59.jpg

I built one with the uhmw. Kind of a waste it does move very smoothly but wax on a board will have it moving pretty much the same

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Got the idea from an article by one of the Walke-Moore guys. Can’t recall if it was in a publication or a blogpost. Customized it for my needs.
    60E50BAA-1B5A-4E1C-AB53-266C0C96CB59.jpg

Thanks!! (10 characters)

Oops, George jogged my memory. The track is lined with self-adhesive UHMW, not HDPE. 3” roll purchased at Woodcraft.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I built one with the uhmw. Kind of a waste it does move very smoothly but wax on a board will have it moving pretty much the same
    Why wax the board when waxing the plane is faster?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Thanks!! (10 characters)
    10?

jtk