Thread: Corian Router Table Top

Corian Router Table Top

I have access to some Corian sink cutouts. Is this material any good for router table tops? Thanks

Probably nothing much better. I've used such sink cutouts for dedicated router bases, a shooting board, and all sorts of uses over the years. Probably more shower corner shelves than anything else though out of the leftovers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    It is an excellent product but it does creep (AKA warp). The storage instructions warn of this as do the fabrication instructions. It needs a rigid sub structure to sit on. Cut it with a triple chip carbide blade. If you need to loose an 1/8 of an inch for your stove install use a belt sander. I buy it on eBay and am careful to store it perfectly flat or perfectly vertical.
    Corian instructions (no title)
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-24-2023 at 10:00 AM. Reason: https://www.4willis.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Corian-SS_Fabrication_Manual-Chapter20_Requirements_k-25705.pdf
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by John Hollaway View Post
    I have access to some Corian sink cutouts. Is this material any good for router table tops? Thanks
    I think the material would be fine, it can be worked with normal woodworking tools. Will the sink cutouts be big enough? My router table is in place of the right table saw wing so 27". I'm not sure I'd want much shorter than that.

Corian or any of the solid surface materials will provide the best router table there is, I have not found it to warp as long as you support it the same as you would any other table top.
    I use solid surface material for most of the signs I design and fabricate in my sign shop. In fact I have a 3/4" thick piece of Corian in my shop now that I cut for my next router table. The router table I made for the sign shop at Christopher Newport University was made from 1/2" thick Corian and has been used to edge prep probably 4,000 Corian ADA door signs, it is still perfectly flat after 15 years of daily use. I use paste wax on the table surface, makes it slick so everything glides effortlessly.

This is the table I hope to finish shortly, just have not had the time to work on it for several months.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Hollaway View Post
    The material itself will make for a very nice router table stop. Do pay attention to supporting it well because hanging a heavy router under it can cause some deflection and even a minor amount can affect the routing quality. This is really no different than any other material in that respect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A sink cutout was my first router table and I used it for several years. Did not have any warp . Machined and cleaned up well.
    < insert spurious quote here >