Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yates-American B44 Planer

some of my shaper knives have a secondary bevel on the bevel side. On jointer and planer when I put a secondary bevel on its on the bevel side of the knife as well.

People putting a bevel on the flat side of a plane iron is a newer thing. Rob Cosman was the first person I saw doing that. Yet to try it and past spent enough time to make them flat im not too interested in putting a bevel on that side. Might try it one day but so far not needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    some of my shaper knives have a secondary bevel on the bevel side. On jointer and planer when I put a secondary bevel on its on the bevel side of the knife as well.

People putting a bevel on the flat side of a plane iron is a newer thing. Rob Cosman was the first person I saw doing that. Yet to try it and past spent enough time to make them flat im not too interested in putting a bevel on that side. Might try it one day but so far not needed it.
    I bet I was using it when Cosman was in grade school if not sooner. I was using it before internet woodworking even.
    https://woodweb.com/knowledge_base/K..._Manual_5.html
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 05-26-2023 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks thats getting pretty complicated. Id rather just lower feed rate if had an issue with chipping out. The woodmaster can cut a moulding in birdseye maple clean by dialing in a slower feed rate, it has a gear motor. Id like that on the SCM stuff. PLaner is 20 fpm I slow it down knocking it in and out of gear. As far as the bevel flat side on a plane blade it wasnt around or didnt know anyone doing way back. What we were taught has always worked fine on plane irons.

I learned about back levels from FWW mag around 1980.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Thanks thats getting pretty complicated. Id rather just lower feed rate if had an issue with chipping out. The woodmaster can cut a moulding in birdseye maple clean by dialing in a slower feed rate, it has a gear motor. Id like that on the SCM stuff. PLaner is 20 fpm I slow it down knocking it in and out of gear. As far as the bevel flat side on a plane blade it wasnt around or didnt know anyone doing way back. What we were taught has always worked fine on plane irons.
    Slowing up will not help you sending curly hard maple or birds eye maple. You need the extra bevel. It's no issue with this planer because it has the guts to mill 1/4" off an 18" wide board.

I believe the powermatic onboard planner grinder can do the double angle grind.
    Bill D.