Thread: Cutting Corian

Cutting Corian

Anyone have experience cutting Corian? Looking to replace our stove and the existing opening measures 29 7/8" wide. The stove we are considering is 29 15/16" wide and the manufacturer recommends a 30" opening. The Corian is laminated with a 1/2" top layer and a 1" layer set back about 1/8" so I think I can just remove 1/8" from the top 1/2" layer. What's the best method? I have circ saw, router, belt sander, ROS and 4" grinder with a diamond blade.Corian.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like I dodged the bullet. Went back and rechecked the dimensions and determined that it will fit without modifying the top opening. One of the dimensions I assumed was at the countertop elevation is actually at the base so I have about 1/8" clearance at the countertop so no trimming required.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 05-23-2023 at 6:20 PM. Reason: Problem solved

I’ve cut coriander with a standard carbide saw blade, and formed an edge with a standard carbide-tipped router bit.

I used a circular saw, a jig saw and a router bit on a solid surface top for a vanity I just finished: they all worked--and all made a lot of mess. Of the three, I'd probably lean toward the router, given the application of removing just a 1/8 inch from the end/edge. Are you going to be able to pull the counter top to make the cut, or does the trimming have to be done in place? That'd affect the options, obviously.

I will be cutting it in place. I am leaning toward the router with a straight edge or perhaps a flush trim bit running the bearing against the 1" thick lower layer which measures pretty close to the width I need to achieve. Probably buy a new bit to ensure it's sharp. Not really comfortable with a circular saw plus I suspect I can get closer to the back with the router. I do have a spare piece of Corian I can practice with. The counter top on the left side has a little more overhang from the edge of the cabinet so I plan to trim that side. I think that means I should start at the back and move forward so I am moving the router counter clockwise.

Trimming the edge on the left side of the opening with the router on top - move front to back to avoid climb-cutting.
    Last edited by Jim Morgan; 05-23-2023 at 4:40 PM.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

They make "Solid Surface" blades for a tables saw, perhaps also for a circ saw?

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Any woodworking cutters will cut it. I did use a special blade back in the '80's when we built countertops out of it, but any sharp carbide will handle it easily. It cuts pretty much like "butta" with sharp cutters.

Strikeoff with metal bearings is a bit of an issue, but it's easily sanded off. Dedicated solid surface bits have solid surface bearing outer surfaces to avoid that, but it's really no big deal.

I'd rough it out with a saw and then final trim with a router.

Just for the record, Corian and other solid surface material cuts and works easily with normal woodworking tools...it's what fabricators use. (I love machining it on my CNC, too)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Just for the record, Corian and other solid surface material cuts and works easily with normal woodworking tools...it's what fabricators use. (I love machining it on my CNC, too)
    Though I have not done a lot of Corian cutting as I take it Jim has, I have both used a circular saw with a good fine-tooth carbide blade and a larger router with a solid carbide spiral cut bit and have machined Corian with both of them.
    On a side note, cultured marble sink tops etc. are nothing more than resin and marble dust (cultured marble that is). I've cut and machined a cultured marble bathroom sink top using the same tools successfully.

The trick to cutting or routing solid surface material is to reduce the speed. On a CNC router you have to fine tune your speed and feed to obtain the perfect load on the blade or bit and it will last for a very long time.

I have used a router on it as everyone agrees. In your case I would use the flush cut like you mentioned and when the router bumps up against the backsplash finish the cut with a pull saw. Then smooth out any discrepancies by sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I’ve cut coriander with a standard carbide saw blade, and formed an edge with a standard carbide-tipped router bit.
    I cut coriander with a paring knife😎

Sorry Jamie, just couldn’t resist…….Regards, rod