Thread: FS - Lie-Nielsen "Hot Dog" for LN 62 or LN 8

FS - Lie-Nielsen "Hot Dog" for LN 62 or LN 8

These have been unavailable for quite awhile, and when searched on the LN site nothing appears. The paper envelope for the allen wrench indicates a 2015 date, so it seems likely this is now a discontinued item. From what I can determine, the original cost was in the range of $85-90, plus shipping and tax. There were two sold on eBay recently - one for $143, plus shipping and tax and the other for $154.50, plus shipping and tax. This one is $110, plus shipping and that is probably close to the original cost when shipping and tax is considered. There is no original box. It will ship in a small box and I suspect shipping would be less than $10.

If you have an LN 62 or the LN 8 miter plane and want to use it to shoot this comes in really handy. Payment via personal check or Zelle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hot dog.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	501724  

Left click my name for homepage link.

Hi John,
    I'd like to buy it. PM Sent.
    Rick

For my future fantasy workshop I will need this one.

Blog Entries
    Looks like it is sold so it doesn't matter the miter plane was a #9.

I bought my LN #62 in 2009, if my memory is working. I think the hot dog cost me an extra $60 or $65 at the time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hot dog is sold to Rick, who was quicker on the trigger than Doug!!

Jim, my apologies on the miter plane reference! Thanks for pointing it out.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 05-23-2023 at 11:53 AM.

That hot dog will come handy for Memorial Day weekend eh.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Camire View Post
    That hot dog will come handy for Memorial Day weekend eh.
    It is handy on my LN #62 for shooting:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LN #62 New Toy.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	501748

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I also think the one for the No. 9 has a flat groove on the inside where the one for the No. 62 is curved.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Hoshue View Post
    I also think the one for the No. 9 has a flat groove on the inside where the one for the No. 62 is curved.
    I think they only made one hot dog for the #9 and it could fit on the#62. At least mine has a flat groove. It was a touch tight so the slot was carefully widened with a file.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I think they only made one hot dog for the #9 and it could fit on the#62. At least mine has a flat groove. It was a touch tight so the slot was carefully widened with a file.

jtk
    The No. 62 hot dog was on the LN site for sale at some point last year. I’m not sure which one came first, and sure each one can work or be made to work with either plane. I don’t own a 62, or it’s hot dog, but I remember reading somewhere that they’re different. If you look at the pictures you can see where the groove is concave at the bottom to meet the side of the plane better than the flat ones made for the no. 9. Seller or buyer might be able to confirm this.

Name:	IMG_2767.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	501830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2768.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	501831

I have the LN-9 with the Hot Dog. Exactly as pictured. I don’t believe they made a different one for the 62, a plane I also have.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    I have the LN-9 with the Hot Dog. Exactly as pictured. I don’t believe they made a different one for the 62, a plane I also have.
    Jim confirmed above that he has the flat grooved one, which is different from what is pictured and what you have. Here is a picture I just took of one of the No. 9 ones I have. It’s flat, and different from the one made for the No. 62. You have the wrong one for your No. 9. Just trying to put this info. out there so people aren’t unintentionally mismatching them.

Name:	IMG_2771.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	501850Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2773.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	501851

Blog Entries
    That is interesting Justin. When my #62 was purchased there wasn't any mention of there being a separate hot dog. I recall asking about using the hot dog on the #62 since it was going to be my shooting plane. This was before LN or LV made shooting planes.

Maybe all the people buying #62s for shooting planes gave them ideas.

jtk

I had no idea listing this item would precipitate such an investigation! I would note that the envelope for the Allen wrench was marked specifically for the 62, so perhaps there were in fact two separate hot dogs.

Justin,

Here’s mine. I see now how they are different (couldn’t tell in the original photos). Guaranteed mine is for the LN-9, but would also work on the 62. I don’t use the 62 for shooting as I have a LV Shooting Plane.

Name:	23CF6C3C-9E6A-4338-80E7-9DC09244764A.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	501853