Thread: spring 2023 shop improvements

Blog Entries

spring 2023 shop improvements

Hi! I haven't posted in awhile due to busy schedule, but have been reading with interest as usual.

I had posted awhile back about the idea of moving my table saw and jointer to create a bit more room in the shop, and enable the addition of a stand alone router table....

That idea was accelerated when a local-to-me option arose for a lightly-used Sommerfeld router table (and accompanying cabinet from their plans and Triton router). I found that the router table top was not flat, but had learned this was typically due to improper install. I got a good deal, got it home, and disassembled/reassembled, and now have a dead flat router table top.
    Spring 2023 new router table.jpg

Since this unit needed a place to live, I took this as the queue to remove the extension on my table saw, and shift it (and the jointer) closer to the miter station. The long rails did not need to be cut as they slipped into the pockets of the miter counter, so I can return to full size in the future if I like (although I use track saw for cuts that would benefit from more table saw width, so I don't expect this to be likely). This move generated about 24 inches of additional space. I also streamlined the outfeed table while I was at it.
    Spring 2023 moved jointer and table saw.jpg

The DC drop that already fed my bandsaw was updated to enable collection from the router table cabinet and fence. A few more twists/turns than I would like, but suction seems to be quite adequate. While I was at it, I had been meaning to fix up the mobile cart for my bandsaw, and there was benefit to making the saw sit 2 inches taller (so that outfeed would clear the fence of the now-adjacent router table), so I took care of that. In terms of workflow, really nothing has changed in my shop, which is a nice win because I liked the setup already.

While purchasing the router table, I also ended up buying the guy's Dewalt 735 in like-new condition for a fair price. I had been wanting to upgrade from my screamer of a lunch box planer, so this was good timing to do so. This required no surgery to my setup at all.
    Spring 2023 new planer.jpg

Very happy with the end results which I think will be much more functional for the type of projects I work on.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Looks like some nice upgrades!!!

That was a nice update to your shop, Bob. I had to chuckle when you referred to your old thickness planer as a "screamer". Have you turned on that DeWalt 735 yet? LOL Great thicknesser...best in its class, but wear your hearing protection for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, I agree that the 735 is still a screamer. Seriously loud. I don't like using mine because of that reason and I look forward to the day I'm able to use a 3-phase helical head jointer/planer, lol. Although, I am using the 4" dust port upgrade with good results:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/9753734...t-port-upgrade

Blog Entries
    Too funny... the 735 is literally 1/2 as loud as the 733 I had previously, so it feels like a dream to me in comparison. I'm religious user of high-quality hearing protection as well, but definitely thankful for the reduction in volume.

Thanks for that link Aaron! I have only run a few boards through thus far and the collection has been fine thus far, but good to know there's an upgrade available should I need one in the future. I have 3 hp dust collector drawing from just one tool at a time, so perhaps it will keep up with the 735?

Time to start the morris chairs project!
    - Bob R.

Hi Bob. The stock dust collection on the 735 works generally well, but it's not the best. However, it's a lot better than any other benchtop planer because it has an internal blower fan that pulls all that debris through. That being said, the internal dust collection is not the best. It's basically only a 2-1/4" output and the internal hood pulls primarily from one side - see pics here:

IMG_0603.jpgIMG_0604.jpg

I found that the 4" Etsy dust port adapter works a lot better and pulls more chips out (there is less chips/sawdust falling down onto the planer bed). Your 3HP dust collector should work just fine with this. A smaller 1-1/2HP dust collector will also work but not as effectively. With the 4" adapter, the unit is still loud. A lot of the sound is from stock output (they recommend keeping the internal blower fan because it helps cool the unit). I found that putting an elbow on the output helps a bit with the sound. I have thought about trying to use a 4" duct silencer on the output to help, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0829GJ5Q7...I141M3TIWM34Q7

IMG_0606.jpg

I find that if something is a little loud(tablesaw, drum sander Helical head jointer planer, dust collector that is in the attic above me) I wont put on hearing. I did put it on when I would use the 735. So hearing loss is greater on the quieter tools in my case.

I always had the greatest fear of a chip in a fresh blade set with the 735. Out of the 4 sets I swapped in mine while I had it there was only one set it didnt happen to. Very frustrating.

How do you like the hammer edge sander? I was looking at it when it first came out and should have jumped on it its gone up 30% since then

The Hammer edge sander is great! I've used it a lot and I think it's a very sturdy machine for being a "Hammer" line product.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    The Hammer edge sander is great! I've used it a lot and I think it's a very sturdy machine for being a "Hammer" line product.
    Just bought one also. Waiting on delivery. Supposedly in stock, but Felder is being a little wonky regarding delivery details.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

You may be onto something with the extension pipe, Aaron. I think before I bought the silencer I’d try a section of straight pipe on the outlet. Years ago I was visiting a boiler manuf whom I represented and we were in the lab. He was testing a Carlin gas power burner. The majority of his equipment was oil fired so success with this would give him a larger market with the gas conversions. He turned on the burner and the thing just howled, kinda like a 735. He then turned it off, put a 1’ section of 4’ pipe on the inlet and smoothing the air flow had a remarkable influence on the noise. Suddenly we were speaking in a normal level. In my case my 735 with my 1.5hp Grizzly Cyclone was incredibly shrill. Moving into a neighborhood I decided to move to the Harvey G700. The 735 is still a howler but the combination of the two is much better. I’ll pick up a piece as well and try it out.

Blog Entries
    Quick update that I'm fairly deep into the Morris Chairs project now, so I've had ample time to try the new shop layout... Happy to report that I'm loving working in the space - the flow feels familiar still, but more spacious, and upgraded. The trimmed table saw width isn't phasing me at all.
    - Bob R.