Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing Advice & Assistance on a CAD Drawing and CNC Services

Needing Advice & Assistance on a CAD Drawing and CNC Services

I haven't been on this wonderful forum in many a month. but it's good to be back. I have a project involving CNC machining with which I need help.

I manufacture a series of products for the musical instrument business. I have a radical idea for a new product design that will truly revolutionize the our category. Nobody in our niche is even remotely trying to do what I'm planning to.

The bad news? This product will be a real challenge to manufacture, even prototypes. However, it is not impossible, just costly. I need to start working with a CNC house to cost out the CAD drawing and the machining costs. I think this project can be done on a FOUR-AXIS machine. I don't you need a five-axis, but I'm pretty sure it can't be done with just x, y and z axis.

If anyone is intrigued, please PM me. I'm sorry I can't divulge more here. This is a very innovative approach to a very old accessory design, and I'm in a super-competitive category.

Thanks for Reading,
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 05-22-2023 at 10:09 PM.

Scott, if you PM me with some additional information I can likely help you understand what the machining requirements might be. And yes, I'd keep that communication confidential.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Scott, if you PM me with some additional information I can likely help you understand what the machining requirements might be. And yes, I'd keep that communication confidential.
    Jim, Howdy. So kind of you to post and offer some possible assistance. I'm going to PM you right now.

Jim, it would probably be faster and a better use of our time to email back and forth, if you're okay with that. I will include my email in the PM.

Thanks Again,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    I haven't been on this wonderful forum in many a month. but it's good to be back. I have a project involving CNC machining with which I need help.

I manufacture a series of products for the musical instrument business. I have a radical idea for a new product design that will truly revolutionize the our category. Nobody in our niche is even remotely trying to do what I'm planning to.

The bad news? This product will be a real challenge to manufacture, even prototypes. However, it is not impossible, just costly. I need to start working with a CNC house to cost out the CAD drawing and the machining costs. I think this project can be done on a FOUR-AXIS machine. I don't you need a five-axis, but I'm pretty sure it can't be done with just x, y and z axis.

If anyone is intrigued, please PM me. I'm sorry I can't divulge more here. This is a very innovative approach to a very old accessory design, and I'm in a super-competitive category.

Thanks for Reading,
    Scott
    PM and email sent.
    David

David, hello. I see your post here, but I can't locate either a PM or email anywhere.

Thank You,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    David, hello. I see your post here, but I can't locate either a PM or email anywhere.

Thank You,
    Scott
    Hi Scott,
    I'm not sure why they didn't go thru.
    Please reach out to me there and I will try to help you.
    I'm a mechanical engineer and have many years of experience with design, prototyping, product development, and so on.

Thanks,
    David

PS. I was able to use the back arrow at this site to go back to the page where I had composed and send the email to you. Not sure why it didn't go thru.

Scott message 1.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-27-2023 at 12:14 PM.

Scott - I did receive your email and will follow up with you "off line".
    Thanks,
    David

Sounds like you have some help. I'm finding that each brand of software (I'm still using Fusion 360) has it's strengths and weaknesses. I'm not an expert so I don't know if I could give you enough specific advice about your project. Are you thinking of making these yourself with a CNC? If it was me I would want to be able to make small changes as needed which would require learning the design software. How big are these pieces? Would it require cutting multiple sides (I'm guessing yes).

Alex, the work that the OP needs done isn't a "home shop" type situation. I can't go into it more here, but this is more about the requirements necessary for contract manufacture.
    --

There was someone on a while back making a secret project and it turned out to be Personalized Engraved Guitar Picks.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    There was someone on a while back making a secret project and it turned out to be Personalized Engraved Guitar Picks.
    Yes - these were the $50 guitar picks where he was contributing $10 from every sale to charity. You can do a post search to find and read the entire thread.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ate-This-Bevel

When I had a full time woodworking business, you might be amazed at the number of inventors that contacted me. The wanted discount samples of an amazing device that would revolutionize one industry or another. If I could just make a dozen samples at a deeply discounted price, or free, the world would be my oyster as I would make a fortune when it goes to full production. Latter in life I joined an artist group. We were bombarded with requests for us to bring our art or demonstrate our art at any number of events and we would just get tremendous exposure. Yeah, you get great exposure in a restaurant while people are eating and talking, or the number of people that DON'T go to the basement of a downtown library branch to look and purchase art. Amazing how many folks out there want to make our lives so much better. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    When I had a full time woodworking business, you might be amazed at the number of inventors that contacted me. The wanted discount samples of an amazing device that would revolutionize one industry or another. If I could just make a dozen samples at a deeply discounted price, or free, the world would be my oyster as I would make a fortune when it goes to full production. Latter in life I joined an artist group. We were bombarded with requests for us to bring our art or demonstrate our art at any number of events and we would just get tremendous exposure. Yeah, you get great exposure in a restaurant while people are eating and talking, or the number of people that DON'T go to the basement of a downtown library branch to look and purchase art. Amazing how many folks out there want to make our lives so much better. LOL
    I don't really know what his project is, but I suspect it has something to do with guitars. I reached out to the OP on several occasions with regard to offering some help. He has yet to respond to me with any meaningful information about his project. My expertise is in engineering design and manufacturing. I currently design and manufacture my own line of metal working tooling and machines and previously worked for many years as a Mechanical/Electrical Engineer in the Space Sciences Department at the University of Arizona Lunar & Planetary Lab - missions to Mars, Saturn, Space Telescope, etc. So not my first rodeo.

David

Richard, I assure you that the OP is just asking for advice...not asking for anyone to make samples, if that's what you might be thinking
    --