Thread: New scam !! via USPS

New scam !! via USPS

Received a letter via USPS from supposedly our bank (Truist, formerlly BBT).
    Requesting the social security number of the persons who were authorized users on our bank VISA card.
    It stated that the credit reporting agencies were required by law to have it to determine their credit reports.

The letter was very well written on what appeared to be a Truist bank letterhead.

There was a phone number to call to update the records. Phone number was NOT a Truist location.

The address on letter was a legit Truist location..

NOTE.... DO NOT CALL AND GIVE ANY INFO as banks do not send any info except for the owner of the card.
    Our local bank said they have received multiple customers who received this letter

It is just phising for social security numbers.

Either they are from outside the country, or, USPS has gotten soft.
    USPS used to put the fear of God in bad guys.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Take it to your local post office. They have there own postal inspector police force. That letter is a federal crime. You thought Al Capone going to jail for not paying taxes was harsh. Ponzi went to jail and then deported for mail fraud. He never killed anyone, just swindled them with a Ponzi scheme.
    Bill D

Heck, I get twenty emails a week saying I have won a drawing at Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and a dozen other places, and I need to contact them by following the link to arrange delivery. I truly love the threatening emails that say my Pay pal account, Venbo, Net Flix, whatever account has been the subject of suspected fraud and I need to contact them immediately to avoid account closure. Oh and the real estate company letters that offers me $50K for my farm with no closing costs, or the Hunt club that wants to pay $10 an acre for hunting rights, .

Now I am getting emails from FedEx (sure) saying they have a package for me but they need my address and a payment Ha ha ha. I love the emails addressed to me and Et Al, sure thing guy.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Email doesn't involve the postal system.

The United States Postal System has a long history of being extremely tough on anyone that abuses it.

That's the main reason scammers use Fedex or UPS to deliver funds, instead of having you mail them.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    I got one of those from Truist. Being a good soldier, I called the fraud folks at Truist. They Truist told me that the number was legit and I gave them my wife’s social. Then we got one for another card. I called the number and got a VERY hard sell on a life alert necklace so I hung up and called my local Truist branch. The local guy said it was a scam.

im very confused about what happened with the first case.

Ditto on the scam emails and calls. If those folks put as much effort into a legitimate enterprise they would be rich.