Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galvanized steel pails

Galvanized steel pails

Where do you folks that need them get your galvanized steel pails, say, the 3 gallon size or maybe a little larger.
    I have several that I bought 30 years ago; the handles were pretty beefy and the pail itself had some heft to it.
    I just checked out the pails at the big box stores, and the handles are like wire; I can just see it hurting my hand when the pail is full.
    Also the pail seems lighter than the ones I bought way back when.
    Any suggestions for "sourcing steel pails" ? Thanks
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Where do you folks that need them get your galvanized steel pails, say, the 3 gallon size or maybe a little larger.
    I have several that I bought 30 years ago; the handles were pretty beefy and the pail itself had some heft to it.
    I just checked out the pails at the big box stores, and the handles are like wire; I can just see it hurting my hand when the pail is full.
    Also the pail seems lighter than the ones I bought way back when.
    Any suggestions for "sourcing steel pails" ? Thanks
    I got my last pails at Lowe's or Menards (Home Centers). They're from Behrens Metalworks

https://www.behrens.com/product/6-ga...cking-lid-can/

These are six gallon. The bail handles are available with a "comfort grip" attachment. They have other pails without lids.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Way back when I was still smoking, I bought one to use as an ashtray on my carport at a local farm supply store. I believe it's intended use was for hand milking.

I just checked and there are several for sale on Amazon, even ones with wooden handles over the galvanized bale.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-22-2023 at 4:52 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

At the Amish store (one of the ones Amish people shop in, not the tourist variety). Don't know where they get them and it will be a while before I'm back there to find out. May not do you much good in Arizona I'm afraid. A real farm supply place (eg not Tractor Supply) would be my best guess.

Since the advent of ubiquitous "free" 5 gallon plastic buckets piling up in every untended corner of the garage and barn I haven't had much occasion to go pail shopping.

Tractor Supply has them.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    At the Amish store (one of the ones Amish people shop in, not the tourist variety). Don't know where they get them and it will be a while before I'm back there to find out. May not do you much good in Arizona I'm afraid. A real farm supply place (eg not Tractor Supply) would be my best guess.

Since the advent of ubiquitous "free" 5 gallon plastic buckets piling up in every untended corner of the garage and barn I haven't had much occasion to go pail shopping.
    5 gallon is a bit awkward even if I only fill it to 3 gallons (I can't manage 5 gallons... "a pint's a pound the world around").
    And the summer heat beats up the plastic; it eventually cracks/splits.
    We still do have ranchers out here.....just not in Phoenix ... but I don't know any ranchers personally to ask them.

Thanks to all who responded.

Agri-supply would be my first go to.

Oops forgot I wasn't on our local forum. AgriSupply is not a national chain.

Patty, years ago I bought a pack of 8 plastic handles that are intended to be used on pails to give one a larger, more comfortable grip. I bought them on Amazon and the 8 pack is currently unavailable but I see they do have a 2 pack. They are 2 piece that snap together and are able to be reused.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3FYSDK...A18HEOMTYGJXA3

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Patty, years ago I bought a pack of 8 plastic handles that are intended to be used on pails to give one a larger, more comfortable grip. I bought them on Amazon and the 8 pack is currently unavailable but I see they do have a 2 pack. They are 2 piece that snap together and are able to be reused.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3FYSDK...A18HEOMTYGJXA3
    Lee Valley has similar ones even cheaper. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...dle?item=AC312

Thank you Ronald...Grainger is only a few miles from me (no shipping costs! )
    Thank you John and Clint... I will check out the handles

Blog Entries
    It is nice to see a few are still made in the USA. I recently found a decent one at Lowes. All of our farm stores and CO-OPs have them well as. I am sure Lehman,s has them. Lehman's is a neat old-timey store like Roger Wiegand has mentioned.
    https://www.lehmans.com/
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    It is nice to see a few are still made in the USA. I recently found a decent one at Lowes. All of our farm stores and CO-OPs have them well as. I am sure Lehman,s has them. Lehman's is a neat old-timey store like Roger Wiegand has mentioned.
    https://www.lehmans.com/
    There are 2 Leman's in Amjsh country they are the same company but the bigger one in Kidron is now a tourst trap. The one in Mt Hope still deals with the Amish.