Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar pathway lighting

Solar pathway lighting

Has anyone found one that lasts more than a year or two?

I’ve tried wallyworld cheapies and pricier ones from Amazon. I don’t mind spending the money, just tired of throwing it away.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

same issue here also

Ones from Sam's Club have been working faithfully at a rental house for something over a year. We didn't see any for any price that looked like they were better than others, so we just bought some cheap ones. One was broken in a box, and one missing part on another one. Pam called the number and the replacements were here in a couple of days.

I've installed a bunch from Volt Lighting. Brass, somewhat pricey, but have been very good for a couple of years now. Mine are floodlights for the trees, but they sell both kinds.

The Home Depot plastic kind I consider disposable. That has been their history.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

The batteries tend to have "variable" life. But what's also important is to clean the solar panels with reasonable frequency...a reasonable percentage of the time, dirt/grime on the sensors degrades the charging which in turn makes the lighting flaky.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bruce, I have tried a variety of solar lights and no matter what, they all seem to die off in 3 or 4 years. I replace the original battery with good quality rechargeables and usually pull them and charge them late summer once the temps start cooling off. When the solar panels haze over (usually 3 or 4 years up here), I end up replacing them the following year. So far have not found anything lasting any longer than the el-cheapos.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I checked last night, and all the ones at the rental house are still working. I think there must be 20 of them. These are the ones.

This link won't work, but if you search for these at Sams Club they should come up..

members-mark-5-pc-led-solar-path-lights-bronze/

Make sure it has two or more batteries. When the panel hazes use car rubbing compound or toothpaste to clean it up off a bit. Silicone grease on the battery contacts to reduce corrosion may help. Melts off in summer here.
    Bill D

I have replaced the rechargeable batteries successfully a time or two. Some are AA size and others an odd size that I have found at the hardware store.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I've had good luck with the Energizer brand of light.
    These are the same as mine but not where I bought them from.
    Real metal that can be repainted and real glass that doesn't haze.
    Energizer batteries last a few years
    Out here in CA, the plastic on the solar cell does start to get a little foggy after a few years of sun bake but they're out all the time.

Thanks Edward, those look pretty good, I just ordered a set from Amazon.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Just a tip,
    No solar light I've ever seen has a decent stake/tube.
    Here is my methos.
    1/2" rebar (desired length for your soil)
    1/2" PVC pipe (cut to height of tube)

I pound in the rebar until I reach the proper height, sleeve with PVC and slide the light over it.
    They stay where you put them and remain plumb. (I hate crooked lights)
    This might be good for you guys who take things inside during the winter.
    This light is at least 6 years old, you can see the paint is starting to fail at the solar cell area. I put a layer of clear UV on them to prolong their life until I can give them a full paint job.
    IMG_0498.jpgIMG_0499.jpg

I have one out on a fence post, cheapy from Dollar General that is going on 4 years now. I bought some rather expensive ones at Ace Hardware 3 years ago, round glass with 4 inch diameter black top with about a 2 inch x 2 inch solar cell. It is also much brighter than the others. The cheapy ones from Dollar General are still glowing in the morning, so they last all night.

I turn wide wooden bases in the shape of light houses to be topped with the solar path light to be a patio lamp Some of those lamps throw quite a bit of light.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    Out here in CA, the plastic on the solar cell does start to get a little foggy after a few years of sun bake but they're out all the time.
    The Harbor Freight sets (I think same as Home Depot sells but cheaper) I've had "die" in a couple of years, not because the solar/battery/bulb fails, but because the housing gets cloudy enough that you can barely tell the bulb is lit.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Not solar, but I put 120v Pagoda lights along the path from the house to the barn when I built them in 1980. I didn't want to bother with a transformer that would probably not last. They have 25 watt incandescent bulbs in them. I may have changed some once in those 43 years but I don't think I ever changed all of them. They don't stay on all night, but are used when anyone walks that way at night.

I'll change the incandescents to LED's whenever one ever burns out, but I don't think they've ever burned much electricity to amount to anything. I don't think the 25 watt bulbs put out much heat, so that probably helps their longevity. Bulbs were probably better made back then too.

https://www.amazon.com/Ark-Lighting-.../dp/B004VM9DGK