Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for options for duct collection adapters from machine to flex hose transition

Looking for options for duct collection adapters from machine to flex hose transition

I am looking for different sources and options for dust collection pipe “adapters” / fittings to connect 6” flex hose to a fence dust hoods on couple of new to me shapers.

They both currently have 120mm size ports on the dust hoods outlets, though I think I’m going to rebuild one of them from plywood and gaskets and make it a 6” port with whatever fitting I select.

What I dont want or have space for is a bulky arrangement of long pipe + a bulky reducer type adapter that sticks way out the back side of the shaper. I may be able to use a 5” to 6” reducer with some gasketing for the 120mm connection to simplify.

I have looked at Oneida and Grizzly and seen some metal pipe options. I didn’t see any options from ClearVue. Rockler seems to have no 6” options.

I’m looking for something that I can slip 6” flex hose over easily enough and clamp onto the outside diameter of. It doesn’t need to be metal. I am also starting to look at Fernco as I have used them a few times in other dust collection adapters but haven’t found the right dimensions yet.

Thanks, and can add pics if needed below.
    Still waters run deep.

Do you have a picture of the current dust port? 120mm is under 5" So you probably wont find any off the shelf adapters. Im sure one can be 3d printed but you are probably best off removing the current port and attaching a new connection

Thanks George. Here are a few photos. I think you’re right that I should just build my own new collection boxes and attach to the backs of the fence on both. They both have tight clearances / obstacles behind the fence area that doesn’t allow for the OEM hoods or deep hood / dust fitting.

With the Wadkin (photos 2-3) I have a concrete column and sub panel box in the way and was already planning on building a new hood box off the back of the fence with the new 6” port angling on a ~45* angle away from the obstacles and towards the existing short 6” flex drop.

Not exactly pictured, but The Griggio machine (photo 1) is actually nested on part of the out feed side of my table saw so the fence and hood will not be permanently mounted but instead put in place as needed when as a backup for the other machine.

With that in mind, I could source a port that accepted a 6” flex hose onto the end hopefully and have no reducers. Any sources there for a compact 6” dust port compatible with flex hose?

Maybe as simple as this sticking out of the back/side of my gasketed plywood hoods?

https://www.oneida-air.com/ductwork/...ucting-adapter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 05-22-2023 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Link
    Still waters run deep.

I designed this 120mm x 4" adapter because of space problems. I had previously used a fernco + 4" hose union but the long assembly interfered with the saw body with tilting the blade past 30 degrees.

What is the dimension of the rectangle?
    You could probably take these dimensions that are requested on this form to a sheetmetal shop and have them make it. Or buy something with the closest dimensions and bang/patch it to do your job
    https://www.ductingsystems.com/nordf...ansitions.html

If your up against a wall transitioning like one of these fittings may be better for you
    https://hvacpremium.com/products/hva...e-with-duct-12

Arizona Wood Studio on Etsy actually makes a lot of different duct/port adapters. I asked for this a few months ago and he designed and printed up a new product. This is a 120mm port to 6" hose adapter. It is a snug fit over the 120mm port on the machine. The fit can be a little tight, but with a hair dryer you will be able to heat the plastic enough to get it fitted onto the 120mm port. Unfortunately, he's on vacation until June 2, so you'll have to wait a couple weeks unless you want to make your own:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/arizonawoodstudio/?etsrc=sdt

Pics of my adapter. It's only 3-1/2" in total length:
    IMG_0596.jpgIMG_0597.jpg

Oneida does make a 120mm to 6" adapter, but i have seen pictures of it and it's like 14" long:
    https://www.oneida-air.com/ductwork/...ucting-adapter

Thanks Aaron, that’s good info for the future. I too was displeased with how long the Oneida options were.

I just ordered a few of these in both 4” and 6” and will design a plywood box to attach to the back of the shaper fences that incorporate this fitting. If the OD measurements are correct then my 6” flex should fit nicely around the outside of it. We shall see.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0BRD...b_b_prod_image
    Still waters run deep.

I use rubber Fernco sewer pipe adapters to, um...adapt...5" hose to my 120mm ports. These are easily accessible at your local home center.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ditto on the sewer pipe adapters-I had to use one on my Hammer A3-41 jointer/planer to adapt to a 4 inch flex hose.
    Hope to add a better dust extractor in the future with 6 inch piping.

I find with the 120mm port on the A3 that Felder’s 120mm right angle quick connector is best, and it accepts a 5” hose.

High flex polyurethane hose is best for those applications, as well as saw/shapers where you’re moving the hose……Regards, Rod

Get a metal 6" to 5" reducer to reduce the 6" hose down to 5" hose. You can find them at lowes/homedepot. Then get a fernco rubber adapter like Jim mentioned. Don't recall the exact number but think it was labeled as actually a 4" to 4" connection. it will allow the rubber to slip snugly over the 120mm and the 5" hose to slip over the other end. Makes a perfect connection.

As Jim mentioned the Fernco adapters work great, this is a 6" to 5" with magnetic quick disconnect that I swap from the bigger planer to the lunchbox for more dicey wood. I have a few of the Ferncos around to accommodate a number of random different size hook ups from the main 6" lines.

Screenshot 2023-05-26 191413.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Arizona Wood Studio on Etsy actually makes a lot of different duct/port adapters.
    I purchased an adapter from him on Etsy a month or so for my hammer A3-41. The adapter from hammer was backordered. It was a tad pricey but when I did receive it I was pleasantly impressed at the overall quality compared to the thin flimsy adapter from Felder.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-29-2023 at 9:41 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Thanks for the replies. This is what I came up with for one of the machines. I bought enough 4” and 6” metal ports for both shapers. My flex hose slides over the end of the metal port just right and clamps down nicely with a ClearVue bridged hose clamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still waters run deep.

For 4" hose. a tall pineapple juice can just fits inside the hose.
    BilL D