Thread: Glue for table top

Glue for table top

What glue would you use for making together walnut boards for a dining table top?

I really think I’ve asked this before but couldn’t find the answer. Out of liquid hide glue**, hot hide, and PVA*?

* I have some 4/4 I got from tools for working wood but could get one if the titebonds easily.
    ** assuming it’s still good in the fridge or freezer.

Blog Entries
    Having not used hide glue my answer is biased by what is close at hand, Titebond III.

My last glue up was yesterday on a maple cutting board. It was made from a salvaged counter top removed from a house built in 1928.

Its laminations appear to have been held together by hide glue. It was re-sawn, plane and sanded. One of the joins came apart a couple days ago. Soaking the cutting boards made from this old counter top have all met similar fates.

A table would likely have spills and also be wiped down with a moist cloth. It would take many years for hide glue to fail. The PVA would likely not suffer the same fate.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just completed walnut nightstand. Jim is correct - T III

All the glues are good from Tite bond 2 and ,,,,beyond. Have read some complaints about Tite bond 3 , but don’t believe it was the
    products fault . Most glue failures are from bad joints. Hacks will accept some blame about using the glue …but NOT bad fitting joints…
    that they made.

All my indoor projects are either hot hide glue or Elmers Glue All. If I need a ton of glue, like a lamination, then Glue All. If I’m just doing joinery, or otherwise don’t need a ton of glue, then hot hide glue (adjusting open time with salt based upon how long I’ll need to get things together). I have nothing against liquid hide glue and used to use it all the time. I just haven’t used it in a couple years.

I’m not a fan of TBIII. The open time is too short for complicated glue ups (I’m no speedster) making me rush things, it can leave a dark glue line, it’s very acidic which can cause problems with metal parts that will touch a glue line on a finished product (learned that the hard way). The only time I use it is when I’m making something that will live outside, or will get soaked, or might get crazy hot. Wiping a dining table down with a sponge, or the occasional spilled glass of water, will not undo any kind of glue – it takes a lot more effort than that. Plus, a dining table will typically have some kind of water proof/resistant finish anyway.

BTW - I always do indoor joinery with HHG (or LHG). Things just go together a LOT easier.