Thread: Walnut trees in Morocco

Walnut trees in Morocco

Had the chance to hike in the High Atlas Mountains today and the guide said all the trees around us were walnut trees. Anyone know how they compare to our Black Walnuts?
    Bob C

Blog Entries
    If they were English Walnut, the wood looks and works about the same as Black Walnut, but it is much lighter in color.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you are a biologist, this might give you the answer... https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...2.2020.1862734
    Chris

May not help but here’s a couple pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob C

I would say, most likely English Walnut
    https://www.wood-database.com/english-walnut/

Very interesting. Wonder how the trees got to the Atlas mountains? - native to eastern Europe and western Asia according to wood-database.
    And a good deal harder than black walnut at 1,220 on the Janka scale.

Aaahhhhhk - wood from those trees must behave badly.

That sounds like a great trip. Where else are you going in Morocco? I was there last year but only went to the cities: Fes, Rabat, Casablanca, Essaouira, and Marrakesh.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My Dad said he could see snow on the Atlas mountains in winter from miles away in a plane.
    Bill D

Quick google search indicates that English Walnut, otherwise known as Persian Walnut, species Juglans regia, is native to Southwest China and the Himalayas. Probably travelled along the Silk Road, them being delicious food trees, I suppose.

Nice pics, by the way. Looks very serene and also looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing.

edit: traveling down the rabbit hole, other sources indicate that J. regia is native to Iran, and other sources describe its range as SW China to SE Europe.
    Last edited by scott lipscomb; 05-23-2023 at 10:42 AM.

Yes great place to visit if you ever have a chance. I always try and find local woodworking shops when I travel but didn’t find or visit any one this trip. BTW we spent most of our time in Marrakech.
    Bob C