Thread: Delta Rockwell Model 37-290 Jointer: Completely Restored

Delta Rockwell Model 37-290 Jointer: Completely Restored

This Delta Rockwell Model 37-290 4” Jointer has been completely rebuilt. It was completely disassembled and each part was cleaned and degreased. Painted parts received a new coat of industrial finish that is an exact match of the original Delta gray. Bare metal parts were cleaned a polished. New cutter head bearings were installed, as well as new cutter head knives. The motor was disassembled and new bearings were installed, in addition to repainting each of the component parts. Finally, a new belt was installed. I doubt you will come across many machine restorations done to this level. A piece of old American iron made in Pennsylvania in the late 1960’s/early 1970’s. If you gravitate toward old American Made Delta/Rockwell equipment, you will not be disappointed by this unit. Local pickup in the greater Hartford Connecticut area. $495

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Very nice restoration with a very fair price

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Very nice restoration with a very fair price
    Appreciate the kind words: spoken like a man that has also done a restoration (if you have never done a full restoration, it's a lot more work than you might imagine).

Bump for the weekend crowd.

So at that price, you're basically giving that unit away! I wish I had your knowledge and skill in restoring old equipment like that. You've done an amazing job. Good luck with the sale!

Fabulous job restoring/rebuilding that machine. Always love seeing someone bring a machine back to "new" and sometimes better than new function and appearance.

Thanks guys: much appreciated. I just finished another one of these, with a Byrd SHELIX cutter head this time. This will be the last machine restoration for a while:: back to making sawdust.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Phil,

Those are stunningly beautiful restorations. Mucho respect!

That said, and I’m not trying to pour cold water on potential sales, I’ve always wondered about the usefulness of 4” jointers. To me their physical limitations make them good only for very small projects, but for those I’d reach for my hand planes before using a jointer. Care to offer any insights as to what you use these for?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Phil,

Those are stunningly beautiful restorations. Mucho respect!

That said, and I’m not trying to pour cold water on potential sales, I’ve always wondered about the usefulness of 4” jointers. To me their physical limitations make them good only for very small projects, but for those I’d reach for my hand planes before using a jointer. Care to offer any insights as to what you use these for?
    Fair question. We have come a long way with jointers. When I got into WW around 2000, most folks who were serious hobbyist woodworkers were in the 6" class of jointer. As the years went by, I transitioned to first an 8", and then made the leap to a 16". But back in the 1960's/1970's, lots of folks were quite happy with a 4" jointer: lower capital cost, took up less space, and did much of what the bigger jointers did albeit requiring more panel glue-up effort.

My idea was to have this available when my 16" Jointer/Planer is in planer mode. I generally face joint and edge joint and then convert to planing mode. More frequently than you might imagine, I will want to edge joint a board after the unit has been converted to planer mode, which is inconvenient at best. This will allow me to keep the J/P in planer mode in those instances (and not go through the changeover hassle). Time will tell how useful and practical this plan is.

Well done Phil!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well done on jointer #2, Phil! I’ll have to stop by to see how that Shelix head works.

And I agree that these jointers are extremely useful for putting a quick edge on most size boards except really long or heavy. The way I look at it, you can get Phil’s jointer or buy a L-N #8 for basically the same cost. Whatever way you like to work.

Kevin

Happy to say this item has been sold! (at the listed price for those keeping track).