Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yard sale?

Yard sale?

Spent $15 the last 2 days....and..
    Yard Sale Day, .JPG
    This is what I got...?
    Yard Sale Day, clamps and chisels .JPG
    2 styles of clamps, a pair of chisels, and a folding rule..

C clamp from Cincinnati Tool Co. No.540
    ViseGrip Finger clamp....
    a 1/4" and a 1-1/2" Chisel ($5 each!)

And..
    Yard Sale Day, Blue Grass Ruler .JPG
    A $3 Blue Grass Extension Rule, BG 46...to replace the cracked Lufkin X46 I had in the shop.

Not too bad of a day?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Chisels have been cleaned up....1/4" does have a logo on the land/side of the blade..."Cut Easy"

Wide chisel does have traces of a logo....readable part is at the bottom of the logo....."EXTRA"

Nice haul! I love those zig-zag rules. They're widely used in plumbing. One of my Ex-Fathers-in-Law was a plumber, and I was once helping him with a plumbing job in his house, and I remarked how handy that type of rule is and he rummaged through a drawer and handed me two brand new, still in the package, Lufkin Zig-zag rules. and said, "Here, put this in your box and save the other one for when the first one breaks." Nice guy!

I still have the first one and use it all the time. The other, still in the package, is in one of my tool boxes where I keep fancy wooden rules and such things.

IMG_4184.jpg

DC

Steven , years ago I bought an “ Easy Cutter “ 1/8 inch mortise chisel , and it was the best I’ve ever seen about for staying sharp.
    Some narrow chisels dull fast . But I’ve never seen a Cut Easy , I wonder if they are the same and name was changed.

In ‘70 when I began my UA apprenticeship I was told to report to work with a 9” torpedo level, Channel locks and a 6’ folding rule. The rule was a Lufkin L46X with a hook and slide. Spend enough time with them and like other things you can do a lot with them. I still use the 46x on occasion but prefer the inside measuring Lufkin today. It kinda created a problem though when on a job calling out measurements to a carpenter and give him a 6ft 22” measurement. You’d hear the perplexed and emphatic, “WHAT?”…

Quote Originally Posted by David Carroll View Post
    Nice haul! I love those zig-zag rules. They're widely used in plumbing. One of my Ex-Fathers-in-Law was a plumber, and I was once helping him with a plumbing job in his house, and I remarked how handy that type of rule is and he rummaged through a drawer and handed me two brand new, still in the package, Lufkin Zig-zag rules. and said, "Here, put this in your box and save the other one for when the first one breaks." Nice guy!

I still have the first one and use it all the time. The other, still in the package, is in one of my tool boxes where I keep fancy wooden rules and such things.

IMG_4184.jpg

DC

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    In ‘70 when I began my UA apprenticeship I was told to report to work with a 9” torpedo level, Channel locks and a 6’ folding rule. The rule was a Lufkin L46X with a hook and slide. Spend enough time with them and like other things you can do a lot with them. I still use the 46x on occasion but prefer the inside measuring Lufkin today. It kinda created a problem though when on a job calling out measurements to a carpenter and give him a 6ft 22” measurement. You’d hear the perplexed and emphatic, “WHAT?”…
    I worked carpentry for several summers during school, mostly as a helper. One day a new guy, also a helper, but who claimed to have a lot of experience, came up to me and pulled out his tape and quietly asked me to show him where 3/8ths was on the scale. I did, but he didn't last long.

DC

I did see a Metric version of that folding rule...passed.

Metal tool box....with 6 Millers Falls Brace drills inside.....including the No. 1950 Buck Rogers....just like the one I have in my shop.

Only saw ONE hand plane all day....wood Coffin Smoother...full of cracks, btw.

I did see a Stanley No. 4-1/2...but, at $65 + tax...for a plane I already have and use? I have a #4-1/2c, Type 11 in the shop...

Another day, another sale....today's trip cost me $3....mainly for a set of Irwin screwdrivers..
    Yard sale, Handles .JPG
    Always liked those handles...these are a size I don't have in the shop..longest one is..6-1/2" long, counting the handle...these MIGHT come in handy?

other item was a FREE hand saw...
    Yard sale, FREE saw .JPG
    8ppi, 26" long blade...WS medallion..
    Yard sale, W.S. Medallion .JPG
    3 bolt handle...straight back blade....Might be an IMP?
    Yard sale, slotted bolts .JPG
    Will have to do a bit of research...

Dad used to get a "bag" of those style chisels..about every other Christmas.....as he wore out most of the last set...

Nice, keep posting what you find.

Well, Andrew..this come home the other day...
    Pressure Washer, as arrived .JPG
    Price tag said $20....4hp, 2200 psi Pressure washer...

Also, in masonry. And most of the zig-zag rules on the marked these days aren't woodworker's rulers, they're too thick and too heavy. The brand that gets closest to what a good zig-zag ruler is Hultafors, but the scales aren't right. Today I'd do a lot for a proper zig-zag from my grandfather's box: a steel zig-zag ruler with etched and blackened scales on polished steel, both sides scales were mirrored — one scale would have a zero on the left, another had a zero on the right, modern zig-zags have only one scale. It was probably just a quarter in width of a modern one, about that in terms of weight, it was tight so it stayed in any position (to be used as a proportional divider for ex.), but had a very smooth action and would lock once fully locked. It had a shorter segment length, so it would fit in an apron pocket nicely. For the life of me I don't remember the brand.

Another less known fact is that a woodworker zig-zag is supposed to have certain proportions that would allow laying out some common measurements (I remember 1/2", 1" and 4", but there were more) without even opening a ruler. Most modern zig-zag rules allow only one: use the first segment as a fence and mark against the butt of a ruler, but you have to remember what size it results in. Remembering some basic triangular proportions allow laying out some common angles, e.g. a 3-4-5 triangle gives 30˚, 60˚ and 90˚, etc.

So it's really a shame we can't get nice things these days.

The screwdrivers look like Grace USA, a gunsmith tools purveyor. If that's Grace - it makes the whole lot worth it.

Why would you pick the saws up though? I've already counted like a dozen and a half in your photos, are you still looking for "the right one"?

I do have a Mason's Zig-zag ruler....by Lufkin....May dig it back out, and take a couple photos...

Appears that Lufkin made the ruler for Blue Grass....as it matches exactly like the X46...even the ruler's markings line up perfectly.

Screwdrivers match the Irwins I have...

As for the saw...how can one turn down...FREE?

Be back with a couple photos..I hope..Nope, must be out in the shed, with the rest of the Mason's tools....stored in a 5 gal. bucket.

I did find a Lufkin No. 066.....it IS a tad smaller than the X46 or the BG46...both go out to 7"...the 066..6-3/4"...The Blue Grass has Blue ends..the Lufkins have red ends.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 05-29-2023 at 7:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    Remembering some basic triangular proportions allow laying out some common angles, e.g. a 3-4-5 triangle gives 30˚, 60˚ and 90˚, etc.
    Actually a 3-4-5 triangle is good for making a right angle. The other two corners will not be 30° & 60°.

From a quick search:

3-4-5 Triangle.png

This didn't occur to me until recently from reading Euclid's Door, and interesting read on how to make accurate angled tools.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes, I stand corrected, the 30˚- 60˚- 90˚ has 1 — √3 — 2 sides. The √3 side isn't a problem (even though we could mark a line exactly √3 long) , because my ruler locks at 90˚, so just need a short leg and a hypothenuse, which are even numbers. There also other triangles to get 30˚ and 60˚ too