Thread: Time for Tinfoil Hats?

Blog Entries

Time for Tinfoil Hats?

Saw different reports about Artificial Intelligence beginning to have the ability to read minds. There is also some developments in other countries.

A team of scientists from the University of Texas at Austin has developed an AI model that can read your thoughts. The noninvasive AI system known as semantic decoder lays emphasis on translating brain activity into a stream of texts according to the peer-reviewed study published in the journal Nature Neuroscience.
    https://indianexpress.com/article/te...text-8587303/#

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Now that's getting a bit scary. It will only work on men though. Women's minds are too complicated and can carry multiple thoughts at one time.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Now that's getting a bit scary. It will only work on men though. Women's minds are too complicated and can carry multiple thoughts at one time.
    And as soon as the AI figures out what they were thinking, the women would have changed their minds anyway.

Just kidding, ladies! I had a sign in my office until I retired that said "Do you want to speak to the man in charge, or the woman that knows what is going on". Given to me, in good fun (I hope) by the female technicians in my group.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Here is a dose of reality.
    We laughed at Flash Gordon way back in 1936 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027623/
    We laughed at Dick Tracy and his wrist watch / radio see 5min 0 seconds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sro9dWC-CgM
    We laughed at Star Trek
    in 1968 we laughed off Hal 2000, HAL 9000 is a fictional artificial intelligence character and the main antagonist in Arthur C. Clarke's Space Odyssey . We said that will never happen
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARJ8cAGm6JE

Today we have Alexa, Hey Google, Siri, and other smart home assistants and girl friends I don't even know about.
    More and more we are handing over greater portions of our every day life to the internet for just about everything except what happens in the rest room.

AI could easily be the third rail for the success of mankind the problem is it is completely uncharted territory. Remember how wrong we were about the computer crash at the change of the millennium. Millions of dollars spent to save the world computer cache. Big bunch of nothing BUT think of this....what if the computers were already in charge back then and they all laid low not to tip off human kind of the impending danger when AI grows up ?????????????????????????????????
    Remember the
    millennium scare was all started because programmers never considered how computers and systems would act when the date changed. HOW COULD WE BE SO STUPID !!!!!!

AI is nothing to laugh at we could easily all be living in
    HAL

calabreeeeeeeeeessssssseeeee e e ee eee eeee 5 5 __________________________________________

Blog Entries
    My dad and his friend Jim are off on their annual fishing trip. Jim asked a chatbot to compose a poem to close the final email regarding their plans. Here is the poem written by AI.
    (and an image provided by a grand daughter)

In dawn’s first light, two old friends, Jim and Roger, octogenarians bold,
    Set sail to fish upon the calm and glassy lake, their fishing gear all set to hold.

Their bodies may be frail, but not their hearts.
    Their eyes may fail, but not their love for life.
    Their hands may shake, but not their steady aims.
    Their spirits strong, despite the winds of strife.

They reminisce about their younger days when they could run and jump with youthful glee.
    But now they find their peace in simple ways like casting lines and feeling nature’s spree.

They chat about their families and their dreams
    And share some jokes that make them chuckle.
    They cast their lines and wait for hopeful gleams
    As time slows down and life becomes a trifle.

For hours they sit and bask in nature’s charm, the sun’s warm rays upon their wrinkled skin.
    Their hearts are filled with joy and sweet calm as the hours pass and day begins to dim.

With pride they show their catch, a modest lot.
    But to them it’s worth more than words can say.
    For in this moment they have not forgot
    That life is meant to be lived day by day.

They sail back to the dock knowing they have shared a priceless time.
    They will cherish this memory of octogenarians fishing…sublime.

Gone Fishin'.jpg

Best Regards, Maurice

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    Invest in tin foil NOW https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTvBXeWE5Fc
    calabrese55

I’m working on an Arduino project. It’s been years since I last actually wrote code for one and even then it was just simple stuff for my own entertainment. With my feeble memory I’d forgotten just about all I once learned. So, I rather than spend effort to relearn, I’ve been using AI to generate code which I simply copy and paste. The code almost always works and does what I ask for. If it doesn’t it’s because I wasn’t clear or complete enough about my request. An easy correction. Plus, never any syntax errors. NEVER ANY THINKING! That’s one scary thought for me. I can visualize this replacing a lot of jobs.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Very interesting Michael,
    If the space isn't too big, could you post your typical request or a part of it. This is what I don't have a handle on, just what do you have to tell it to get something created.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Plus, never any syntax errors. NEVER ANY THINKING! That’s one scary thought for me. I can visualize this replacing a lot of jobs.
    That's indeed the scariest part.
    Right after the need for thinking is gone, the desire is often gone too. After that, the ability

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Very interesting Michael,
    If the space isn't too big, could you post your typical request or a part of it. This is what I don't have a handle on, just what do you have to tell it to get something created.
    Bill I just type in something like “I need an Arduino sketch to access 6 BMP280 sensor boards on a TCA9548A multiplexer board. Use multiplexer channels 0 through 5.” It takes a few seconds to get it. Copy the AI text and paste it in a blank sketch. Bob’s your Uncle. A great thing about ChatGPT is you can reopen the automatically saved thread days later and ask it to modify the original. For example “modify the sketch to display the results in inches of Mercury on a 1602 I2C LCD. You can continue to build complexity of the sketch by adding more capabilities then or in the future. It really is scary how much information it has. It can generate code in any language AFAIK. For kicks I tested it in a couple of other languages. Right know it’s limited to textual responses. At least the free one is. It is conversant in just about everything though now it claims it’s knowledge is limited up to 2021. Edited to say it’s not limited to technical knowledge. I ask it about my wife’s favorite children’s author once and got a good deal of information. You can have a conversation with it.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 05-20-2023 at 8:18 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Time to watch the Terminator movies again to see how our world ends

While it already has the potential to not end well, my friends are getting closer every day to getting a Quantum computer working. When they do, it's not only a potential to not end well, it will be the potential to not end well REALLY FAST.

Thanks Michael, seems relatively straight-forward, I'll have to give it a try next time I'm pondering a problem.