Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for horizontal slicing bandsaw, g0503?

Looking for horizontal slicing bandsaw, g0503?

Hey gang. I resaw a lot, and it's really getting tiring pushing those boards thru the saw.
    So, now I'm lookin at this:
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...-bandsaw/g0503

Anyone up here have any experience with this saw? It's the Grizzly g0503

One thing that stumps me is that Grizzly also sells a 16" version of this saw, and they say it'll cut 1/16" veneers.
    Both the 12" and 16" version have specs that state the closest the blade can get to the conveyer is 1/4". So, how is it achieving 1/16" stock, since slicing is generally performed from the bottom?

Just for general knowledge, I'm currently slicing using Grizzly and a MiniMax 24" saws....and I'm primarily slicing 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2" thins.

Wow - that would be a nice luxury in the shop...
    Initially thought you would resaw off top of stock, but owner's manual seems to indicate you slice off the bottom, setting the desired height once. Guessing, if you need 1/6" right off this unit, you'd need to cut off the top of your stock, dropping blade by your 1/16" after each pass until you reach your minimum base layer of 1/4". I can understand the unit being limited to 1/4" off conveyor, if no other reason than to avoid blade drift causing catastrophic damage to the conveyor.
    FWIW
    jeff

Do a search for "pallet destroyer". I bet lots cheaper used. No idea if they are accurate enough for resawing.
    Bill D

I think Cody Michael has one of those.

Another option is to get a power feeder for your current saws.

John

As long as you’re tooling up , ya might as well get a saw with conveyor return ; yes ?

https://lagunatools.com/industrial/bandsaws/hrs-28hd/

these guys also have a clone of that Griz and I can’t believe it, but it’s less xpensive

Wow, that is a beast....
    I have no knowledge about this saw, but I am curious about its purpose.
    Yes, it has a 20HP motor, so its a work horse, that's obvious. I assume feed rate can be stepped up vs. standard 5HP bandsaw.
    But it says max. cut piece is 12x12" ?? Really, is that a typo?
    If its right, what would you use this for...seems very limiting.
    Although the price point is impressive for such a massive machine, if someone does a lot of very high cost exotic thin veneers, it seems the waste factor (saw dust) is substantial vs. a true knife veneering machine that operates like an upside down hand plane with a feeder. No saw dust, all useful finished veneers. But of course, they are much more costly.
    I am very curious of your intended use, and it might help others respond as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    Wow - that would be a nice luxury in the shop...
    Initially thought you would resaw off top of stock, but owner's manual seems to indicate you slice off the bottom, setting the desired height once. Guessing, if you need 1/6" right off this unit, you'd need to cut off the top of your stock, dropping blade by your 1/16" after each pass until you reach your minimum base layer of 1/4". I can understand the unit being limited to 1/4" off conveyor, if no other reason than to avoid blade drift causing catastrophic damage to the conveyor.
    FWIW
    jeff
    Yes, slicing lumber that way will get you any thickness you want. However the big brother to this saw (the 16" version) specificaly states it will saw 1/16 veneers....which seems silly to even point out, because if you're slicing from the top, then of course you can slice 1/16" veneers....slicing from the top will get you any thickness you desire.

I'm just wondering if there's something special about the 16" wide slicer, vs this 12" wide slicer....

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I think Cody Michael has one of those.

Another option is to get a power feeder for your current saws.

John
    I do have a nice power feeder for my 24" Minimax, but it's soooo slow. Plus the accuracy isn't there, unless you crawl to a snail's pace. I'm hearing that these horizonal saws are accurate to .003

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    As long as you’re tooling up , ya might as well get a saw with conveyor return ; yes ?

https://lagunatools.com/industrial/bandsaws/hrs-28hd/

these guys also have a clone of that Griz and I can’t believe it, but it’s less xpensive
    Well, Grizzly does have one with a conveyer return, but Griz is 28K vs the Laguna 33K.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Wow, that is a beast....

But it says max. cut piece is 12x12" ?? Really, is that a typo?
    If its right, what would you use this for...seems very limiting.
    What they mean is that it will resaw stock up to 12" wide, and the blade can be positioned up to 12" above the conveyer....so 12" wide, and 12" thick.
    Of course, it can handle any length.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Wow, that is a beast....

I am very curious of your intended use, and it might help others respond as well...
    I create 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", and 3/8" slices, from 4/4 stock, all day. I have a market for such, (as well as other wood components). Slice and sand...Slice and sand....rinse/repeat.

With labor getting harder and harder to find, I'm looking at this horizontal bandsaw, since I'm losing my primary resawing worker. This saw, tho pricey, should pay for itself in a year.

Blog Entries
    The G0503 would be a good choice if you are working on long boards. With a 1/4 inch minimum height, My guess is that 1/16 slices must come off the top, or the work run through on a sled. A big saw with a roller fence and power feeder is what's used at the factory. The stock is seldom longer than 6 feet.

Here is a thread that shows rigs much like Mr. Dulak's rig. bandsaw power feeder
    Best Regards, Maurice

Thx for the clarification Dirk, makes sense now
    Being in the wood supply field, and the crazy reduced labor market, these machines seem like a bargain at those prices Especially if you can keep the machine running.
    Do you have a website where you sell your veneers? Would love to have a look.

I've never seen the Grizzly (or the over clones to it) but I have seen a Wood-Mizer resawing saw a number of years ago. I don't know how accurate it is but it looked like a nice machine. I think it was 15hp model. But the owner was cutting pine so the conveyor was set to a very fast speed. It looked like it could do wider than 12". I don't remember much but I do remember it having a Baldor motor. There was just too many other tools to look at to focus on just one. Wood-Mizer has plenty of locations, might be worth talking to them and seeing if you can see one of their machines in operation.

You might look at the Baker line of horizontal resaws. Woodmizer also makes one. Multi-head units are available. Seems like you have the market to pay back what would be an expensive machine for the typical small shop. Call up door component suppliers and see if they will share what they use for this task, and post your question on Woodweb as well. Here in VT there is an industry group where you might look for answers and no doubt there are others. https://vermontwood.com/