Thread: Looking for horizontal slicing bandsaw, g0503?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You might look at the Baker line of horizontal resaws. Woodmizer also makes one. Multi-head units are available. Seems like you have the market to pay back what would be an expensive machine for the typical small shop. Call up door component suppliers and see if they will share what they use for this task, and post your question on Woodweb as well. Here in VT there is an industry group where you might look for answers and no doubt there are others. https://vermontwood.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    ...Call up door component suppliers and see if they will share what they use for this task...
    I live in Amish country. These guys make their doors of solid wood, thru and thru. No veneers on these babies....

The Grizzly G0503 comes in at $15,100 (with shipping). Can cut up to 12" wide, using a 20HP motor @ 3Phase. I don't have 3Phase, so I'd have to deal with that. Manual blade tension...pretty much all adjustments are manual. Weighs in at 2,778 lbs.

The Woodmizer HR120 comes in at $13,700 (no shipping needed due to proximity). Can cut up to 16" wide, using a 10HP motor @ single phase. All adjustments appear to be electric. No hydraulics either. Even the blade tensioning seems to be electric. Not sure if that's good or bad. Tips the scale at 980 lbs

The Laguna HRS-28 is out of the running. Looks to be exactly the same machine as the Grizzly, but I've got a bad taste in my mouth ever since I bought my Laguna cyclone dust collector. It quickly became obsolete, and no parts were to be had. No online diagrams to consult.

I don't think I'm gonna consider the Baker unit. It starts at $19,840, and nowhere in their online specs do they talk about width capacity. All units seem to be 3 phase. I see the Baker's all over my Amish community, but they're all breaking down green cants into pallet stock. Baker doesn't seem to really be into the resawing of hard kiln dry 4/4 lumber. I vote no.

There is a used Grizzly G0504 about an hour from me, for $18K. Would cost $30,700 new from Grizzly. Looks very clean, and seller says "lightly used". Could be a good buy, but again, I'd have to deal with it being 3phase.
    ===========

I was thinking the 10HP on the WM was a little light. Then I thought about how I cut all day long with 5HP on both my vertical Grizzly and Minimax 24" saws.....so 10HP should be just fine. Makes me wonder if the 20HP on the Grizzly is a bit overkill, yielding a higher electric bill then I really need. Grizzly seems to have parts for years and years, after a machine is discontinued, and tho I have little experience with Woodmizer, I think we all know they have a solid track record....and have a dealer an hour from my shop.

Whatcha all think? Which way would you lean?

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post

I don't think I'm gonna consider the Baker unit. It starts at $19,840, and nowhere in their online specs do they talk about width capacity. All units seem to be 3 phase. I see the Baker's all over my Amish community, but they're all breaking down green cants into pallet stock. Baker doesn't seem to really be into the resawing of hard kiln dry 4/4 lumber. I vote no.
    They have 8" machines, 12" machines, and 12" that will saw on a bevel. 3 phase yes. Pallets, yes, but also kiln dried stuff. You're correct, though, that 4/4 hardwood is not their wheelhouse. I just wanted you to know they existed.

I have a hard time imagining a 10hp making any kind of progress through 12"+ KD hardwood, but that's not my area.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post

I have a hard time imagining a 10hp making any kind of progress through 12"+ KD hardwood, but that's not my area.
    I do it every week, with 5hp....oak and maple.

As I said - not my area. I never bought a saw with less than 20, but 30-40 was more like it for this type resaw. 100 on gang rip. Ungodly on whole-plant dust collection.

Completely different critters in terms of products

I'll be interested in where you land, and what the performance is like for you
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    I live in Amish country. These guys make their doors of solid wood, thru and thru. No veneers on these babies....
    Sure, most cabinet doors are made with solid wood, but makers of architectural stile and rail doors commonly use "engineered" stile and rail components with thick veneers. I don't know what Dirk's veneers are used for but that would seem to be a natural market.

If I were in this situation I would be looking for production capacity. Heavy duty build, high hp, possibly multiple heads. If the market is there, why not have a machine that prints $100 bills rather than $20 bills? I would think 3 phase essential for a wide belt sander sized to match an industrial resaw. Easy to spend someone else's money, I know.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 05-21-2023 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post

If I were in this situation I would be looking for production capacity. Heavy duty build, high hp, possibly multiple heads.
    Waaay overkill for me. Again, I'm simply looking to replace one guy that slicing on a 24" upright bandsaw (with poor accuracy). The accuracy on these horizonal saws, alone, will give me a significant boost on productivity.