Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for horizontal slicing bandsaw, g0503?

Quote Originally Posted by dirk martin View Post
    Are we talking like 1 grand, or several thousand dollars, if I wanted to run 20HP 3phase?
    A good electrician would have to visit the site and gather information there to give you a valid quote.
    You are into the multiple thousands of dollars however you go, too much depends on what you already have available. Then the VFD will be $1500 bare, bare minimum probably won't be happy with to $3000 for a nice working reliable one. No idea on phase converters and how hard a motor starts on one, IF it starts as hard as it does on three phase power then you will set new peak demand charges. Ones at work really get the conduits singing when starting.
    Good luck
    Ron

I have a Kay rpc that will start 25 hp and run total of 75. Bought it 2004 and it was a bit over $3000 then. Installed it myself along with a 3 phase panel. I’ve had no problems with it. The folks at Kay are very helpful.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    no big deal for a good electrician. very commonly done in the agricultural world where the farm is out in the "boonies" and only has single phase power, gets more interesting when they are limited by electric provider to 15hp motors. There are three phase generator sets installed then, also when power company wants $100,000 and up to drag three phase power to them, some guys have posted over $1,000,000. I am making the assumption you are in town or close. As Kent and Will have brought up you also have other items to calculate into final cost. I would have to believe that with that size bandsaw you also want three phase for the dust collector and wide belt sander. However maybe you are just on the edge and can get by for a while with only the bandsaw on three phase. If you can get by with only the bandsaw on three phase then get your electrician to install a vfd for you. Will definitely start that motor a lot easier and easier on the electric bill every time it starts up!
    A good electrician is your first need, after explaining to him what you want to do, then he can explain to you which he feels is your best route. Whether a VFD or to upgrade the electric service to include a new 3 phase panel to go along with existing electric service panels.
    Good luck
    Ron
    I am out in the sticks. Nothing but agriculture around me. And, I do have a good electrician near by.
    So, it looks like I'd be looking at something like this, if I was starting a 10HP? Or would this do?

20HP phase perfect ran me about $6k 3 years ago. Rotary can be had for about half that, but you'll need a 30-40HP with a rotary to adequately deal with a 20HP load. Conversely, my 20HP Phase Perfect runs my 20HP wide belt, which is a heck of a hard starting unit with no soft start circuitry on board.

jeff

I'm really starting to lean towards the Woodmizer HR120. 10HP, single phase, and I'm set......

I know the Woodmizer sawmills are made in USA. I'm assuming their resaw machines are also. Regardless, I don't think you would go wrong with Woodmizer. Plus you can add the powered automatic return and other accessories to it if you like.

I am out in the sticks. Nothing but agriculture around me. And, I do have a good electrician near by.
    So, it looks like I'd be looking at something like this, if I was starting a 10HP? Or would this do?
    !st choice maybe,
    2cd choice Grizzly says
    • Starting capacity: 8 HP

Personally, I would set a VFD just for the starting alone. I have a 2hp bandsaw in the basement shop and use a 3hp vfd to provide 3 phase power to it. Cost less than $100 when I did it in 2021 and it starts so easy.
    I was way off on my price estimates, found 10hp 3 phase converter on Amazon for $400, MYS-PS-15, vfd's about the same price. maybe total junk, may work fine.
    Get with the good local electrician you know and listen to him. The installed cost will be more about the labor, materials, etc. then the converter.
    Good luck
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 05-21-2023 at 1:17 PM. Reason: spelling, punctuation

I took at some images of the Wood-Mizer site and it looks like they use Baldor motors. If so that would be a huge plus for me. I think Grizzly oversizes it's motors when possible to keep them from burning up if pushed too hard. For example their 8" jointers come with 3hp motors while my Powermatic only has a 2hp in it. Which ever way you go keep us updated. It's been a fun read.

> I have a 2hp bandsaw in the basement shop and use a 3hp vfd to provide 3 phase power to it. Cost less than $100 when I did it in 2021 and it starts so easy.

Ron.... In yesteryear, (30 yrs ago?) I used to install "Soft Starts" when they were popular, but they seemed to fall out of favor....but agreed, start is so nice....but all my 5HP machine start with minimal "jolt", prob. because RPM is not that great on most ww machines, AND they start unloaded. (vs. HVAC fans or pumps)
    But u peaked my curiosity on what motivated you to do this?

If surge is a concern as in this thread, even with multiple motors, as mentioned by a previous poster, to avoid the simultaneous start surge which "sometimes" can be an issue...just stage their starts.

I think you are right. A single phase 10hp unit will get you up and running quickly. All you need is a 60 amp circuit.

Let's digress a tad bit....

Most of these horizontal resaws are being used to cut green lumber it seems....pallet stock.
    Thus, they "cool" the blade with soapy water, or oil of some sort.
    I really don't want either on my expensive resawn kiln dry stock.
    Do I just not use that "feature", and turn it off?
    Afterall, I'm not aware of people "cooling the blade" on their vertical resaws....I certainly never have.

Also, Dirk Ellis mentioned the outstanding finish from the Lennox CT blade. FYI, it's the only blade I run in my shop....just wish it could be resharpened.

I don't think I'm gonna consider the Baker unit. It starts at $19,840, and nowhere in their online specs do they talk about width capacity. All units seem to be 3 phase. I see the Baker's all over my Amish community, but they're all breaking down green cants into pallet stock. Baker doesn't seem to really be into the resawing of hard kiln dry 4/4 lumber. I vote no.
    They have 8" machines, 12" machines, and 12" that will saw on a bevel. 3 phase yes. Pallets, yes, but also kiln dried stuff. You're correct, though, that 4/4 hardwood is not their wheelhouse. I just wanted you to know they existed.

I have a hard time imagining a 10hp making any kind of progress through 12"+ KD hardwood, but that's not my area.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post

I have a hard time imagining a 10hp making any kind of progress through 12"+ KD hardwood, but that's not my area.
    I do it every week, with 5hp....oak and maple.

As I said - not my area. I never bought a saw with less than 20, but 30-40 was more like it for this type resaw. 100 on gang rip. Ungodly on whole-plant dust collection.

Completely different critters in terms of products

I'll be interested in where you land, and what the performance is like for you
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'm really starting to lean towards the Woodmizer HR120. 10HP, single phase, and I'm set......
    That is the simplest solution other than adding a powerfeed to your present machine. The shop I used to work for put a powerfeed on their 24" bandsaw and are happy with the increased accuracy, but they are not doing production work. For wide stock I think you would be better served by a dedicated horizontal saw with pressure rollers/feed belt that contact the full stock width. I would want to see a demonstration using my typical material before committing to a substantial investment. Maybe the vendors can refer you to some owners willing to show what they do.