Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandsaw bearings and other rebuild questions

If the tool cost less then a modern car, when it was built, it is unlikely to use oiled bearings unless it was made before WW2 or so.
    Bill D

a few things I notice about the condition of the existing bearings and the motor

top wheel is a lot louder. 6 ticks per revolution. Spinning freely I can maybe get to spend for 30 secondsBy spinning with hand
    bottom wheel it makes a Much quieter ticking sound, 1 tick per revolution I can get to spin for 120 seconds by spinning with hand
    the motor with no belt on will only spend for 15 to 20 secondsFrom full speed. is this normal? I'm wondering if there's a braking mechanism, or if it's a bad bearing
    The pulley on the motor shaft is definitely loose so have to look at the key or the pulley itself.

do you guys think I should leave the bottom wheel alone? is that normal behaviour for a motor spin time from full speed to stop?
    Last edited by Cory filder; 05-24-2023 at 10:16 PM.

Standard grease filled bearing with seals.

Your local power transmission place should have them in stock……Regards, Rod

What about that question about the condition of the motor and existing bearings from post #17?

I found out that a bolt holding the motor pulley on was loose just by a bit.Tightening the bolt seems to solve the problem, although I don't know if it's temporary. The lock washer seems to be compressed slightly (Inelastic). And when the bolt is removed entirely, the pulley will move side to side ( around the key by a very tiny amount, that I can feel but not see).Is any movement acceptable? My gut says of course not
    Last edited by Cory filder; 05-25-2023 at 2:25 PM.

After some more digging it appears as though the pulley was machined at some point and made larger. I think it's time to abandon the old motor for sure. With the new motor, I think I'm going to switch to standard V-belt pulleys only because the motor pulley is a bit damage and appears to be unobtainable.What do you recommend in terms of switching to pulleys V-belt? I'm assuming it is cheaper or easier to find than a six ribbed poly V-belt. But I don't know