Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw bearings and other rebuild questions

Bandsaw bearings and other rebuild questions

I have a bandsaw that is new to me.Delta, uncommon model. I noticed that the bearings on the upper wheel make a clicking sound When turning it by hand. About five or six clickss per rotation. I don't know if this is normal or if the bearing needs to be replaced. I was told it was replaced about five years ago. Without a blade, The wheel turns nicely actually.

should I leave it alone?

My thrust bearing is press fit and doesn't have a retainer clip.
    The following bearing that goes on this press-fit shaft is a 608Z or 608ZZ.
    download1.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cory filder; 05-19-2023 at 10:23 AM.

What model saw?

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    What model saw?
    Delta 28-190

If a ball bearing makes any noise replace it. Use rubber sealed not shielded.
    $11.88 for twenty on ebay today. At that price no question I would replace 20 year old grease.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    If a ball bearing makes any noise replace it. Use rubber sealed not shielded.
    $11.88 for twenty on ebay today. At that price no question I would replace 20 year old grease.
    Bill D.

As a good tip about using sealed bearings. Of course it makes sense. Are thrust bearings oiled or greased? I ask because I thought they were oiled. Also if I'm to change the bearing type, I'm not familiar with the nomenclature, assuming it's no longer a 608Z or zz.Since it's a press-fit, I know it's Inexpensive to get several bearings, but I would rather only do this more seldomly.
    Last edited by Cory filder; 05-19-2023 at 10:19 PM.

If they were oiled bearings they would have a fitting that fits an oil gun (shallow cup with a tiny ball spring loaded where the oil goes, used with an oil gun unlike a typical oil can). A greased bearing can also have zerk-like fittings, but they only need a pump or two per year in a busy shop. Too much grease isn’t a good thing.

I replace my woodworking machine bearings when needed with rubber seals (2RS) both sides unless in really high rpm applications (10,000 rpm+)

608rs or possibly 608rr. is a 608 bearing with two rubber seals.
    NTN might say 608 LLU
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    If they were oiled bearings they would have a fitting that fits an oil gun (shallow cup with a tiny ball spring loaded where the oil goes, used with an oil gun unlike a typical oil can). A greased bearing can also have zerk-like fittings, but they only need a pump or two per year in a busy shop. Too much grease isn’t a good thing.

I replace my woodworking machine bearings when needed with rubber seals (2RS) both sides unless in really high rpm applications (10,000 rpm+)
    These are tiny bearings that are not serviceable, As they don't have any fittings.

thrust bearing is 7 cm per rotation or 2.75 inches per rotation. saw blade speed is approximately 3300 ft./m. Or 39,600 in./m. divide these numbers and the RPM is about 14,400.
    So given that the bearing is 14,400 RPM, But it appears to be within spec for grease according to the bearing link below.
    However, I still don't know oil or grease is the recommended type

bearingsCanada.com webpage. https://www.bearingscanada.com/608ZZ...-miniature.htm

and the 608z bearing is recessed ( probably to protect the seals),. also supposed to be recessed? The 2RS seals inner and outer race appeared to be flush. I'm wondering if it's possible to get recessed and sealed.
    Last edited by Cory filder; 05-20-2023 at 1:14 PM.

14,400 RPm probably better check and see if rs can take that speed. I bet that is why the used shielded.
    BilL D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    14,400 RPm probably better check and see if rs can take that speed. I bet that is why the used shielded.
    BilL D
    They are good for 22,000 rpm. At least SKF is.

Makes sense that rpm goes up as bearing size goes down. A smaller circumference goes a shorter distance for any given rpm.
    Bill D

I'm still not clear on whether it should be in oiled or greased one

Quote Originally Posted by Cory filder View Post
    I'm still not clear on whether it should be in oiled or greased one
    Is the old bearing just shielded? A sealed will have a slightly higher rolling resistance but probably not enough to be an issue. It will be a permanently greased bearing. Although you can probably use a needle greaser and add a small amount it isn't likely to need it. An oiled bearing set up would be messy in that application.

I've replaced many bearings over the past 35 years in bandsaws (2), radial arm saws (2), shop motors (5), planers (1), jointer (1), lathe (head and reeves drive) and all are greased from the factory. As an exception, there were actually a couple that ran in an oil bath in the two-speed gear box of my Delta planer. Most last 25-35 years for a hobbiest and are cheap enough to just replace. So my answer would be greased. And as Bill Dufour said, use rubber sealed not shielded. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    I've replaced many bearings over the past 35 years in bandsaws (2), radial arm saws (2), shop motors (5), planers (1), jointer (1), lathe (head and reeves drive) and all are greased from the factory. As an exception, there were actually a couple that ran in an oil bath in the two-speed gear box of my Delta planer. Most last 25-35 years for a hobbiest and are cheap enough to just replace. So my answer would be greased. And as Bill Dufour said, use rubber sealed not shielded. Randy
    Great. that you