Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't remove the collet from the nut aaarrrggghhh!

Can't remove the collet from the nut aaarrrggghhh!

Fairly new Dewalt router. 1/2" collet in the nut now, pretty thin wall on the collet. Can't find a screw head big enough to push the collet out of the nut. I did find a bolt head that fit, but it won't push the collet out. Collet spins freely in the nut.

Don't want to force it, so walked away for the day until I figure this out.

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

I have found that the collets provided with routers are not generally designed to disassemble from the nuts like ER collet systems used with CNC machines. None of the PC, DeWalt and Festool router collets come apart in my stable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I recommend getting an additional nut for any additional collets. Its nice to have them. For $13 you can get a nut /collet set on amazon. Otherwise if you want a more precision option it may run $35 for the set

Some router problems are from pushing the bit all the way down and that makes the bit less secure , should be 1/8th up off bottom.

It's not supposed to come out- why do you want it to?

Brian, usually when assembled these types of routers are flanged with the nut attached during assembly and cannot be removed in the field. At least my DeWalt and Milwaukee palm routers are like this. I don't even think they are ER type collets, but I could be wrong.

Elaire Corp. has made-in-the-USA replacement collets for deWalt as well as several other router brands

http://elairecorp.com/routercollets/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I have found that the collets provided with routers are not generally designed to disassemble from the nuts like ER collet systems used with CNC machines. None of the PC, DeWalt and Festool router collets come apart in my stable.
    So even if I have a 1/4" collet that came with it, I must have a 2nd nut?
    Thanks brian

Well, you could always buy all new bits with 1/2" shank. And then send me the obsolete 1/4" that you don't need anymore.

I've always considered a "collet" to consist of both the nut and the grabby thing inside. Never occurred to me to separate them.

EDIT - Oooops - misread, misunderstood. I have a Makita lam trimmer, and a herd of PC 690. My ignorance did not prevent me hitting the "send" key.

Offer to take the 1/4" still valid, though
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 05-19-2023 at 2:21 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

IMG_20230519_162643_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

They come apart, why else would Dewalt sell them like this?

The collet slips over a ring in the nut when there is nothing in the collet. This makes it a self ejecting collet so the collet doesn't stick to the bit. To remove the collet you can put the nut in a vise and then slightly depress the sides of the collet while pushing sideways on the collet. It will pop right out. To put the collet back in the nut you put the collet on the bench, put the nut on top of the collet and push down fairly hard until you hear it snap back together. There is nothing wrong with your collet or nut, that's the way it is designed.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 05-19-2023 at 5:10 PM.

John, no one is arguing you cannot buy a collet and a collet nut separately. That said, the ones that come with palm routers and ones you can buy as replacements are often captive and do not separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    John, no one is arguing you cannot buy a collet and a collet nut separately. That said, the ones that come with palm routers and ones you can buy as replacements are often captive and do not separate.
    OP asked about a 1/2" collet, not a trim router. You and others incorrectly posted that they are not generally removable.
    Last edited by John Lanciani; 05-19-2023 at 5:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    So even if I have a 1/4" collet that came with it, I must have a 2nd nut?
    Thanks brian
    My DeWalt 618 came with both .25" and .5" collets. They do not disassemble and both have integral nuts. Both of my Festool routers came with collets with integral, non-removable nuts. My PC 7518 came with separate collets with integral, non-removable nuts. So if you got a collet that doesn't have a nut with your DeWalt router, that sounds like something is amiss or the company changed something.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fellas (well most of you fellas) - the op has an old Elu designed and made in Switzerland 3hp router - not a Stanley / B&D BORG model.

It’s got an entirely collet system than those.