Thread: Hand Tool Station

Hand Tool Station

Hi All,
    It has been a long time since I have posted.
    I am building a hand tool station and just as I was ready to glue the cherry dividers into their dados. It suddenly hit me that I have a major cross grain situation. What would you do here? Can I get away with using fasteners. Is the 18 inches of cross grain to much.Should I go ahead and glue them in anyway? I suppose if I cut some of the cross grain cherry dividers a bit shorter to leave a gap at the ends it may help. What about gluing just the center few inches and some brads at the ends? Please share your thoughts.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since it's ready to assemble, I'd use a couple of brass slotted round head screws in the middle, clock them to make them look interesting, no glue.

Alternatively, cut the deviders into smaller pieces and glue those.

I'd just go for it, but tell folks that it's part of some research that you're doing.
    Last edited by Cameron Wood; 05-19-2023 at 12:31 PM.

I had not thought of round head screws! I was thinking flat head and how it would not look to good with countersunk slots. I think I might go with this. As a bonus Ill get to support my local mom and pop hardware store!

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    Since it's ready to assemble, I'd use a couple of brass slotted round head screws in the middle, clock them to make them look interesting, no glue.

Alternatively, cut the deviders into smaller pieces and glue those.

You know there is part of me that wants to do that. But I just keep imagining hearing that gunshot sound one day of the maple busting apart. Which wouldn't be the end of the world either. This is going to be a fairly rustic live edge piece. Just trying to use some maple that was taking up space in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    I'd just go for it, but tell folks that it's pert of some research that you're doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James White; 05-19-2023 at 7:40 AM.

Leave small gaps and use brads only - no glue. The brads will bend to and fro as needed. Back in the day, Gustav S. would use nails to attach the backs of bookcases to the shelves, for exactly this reason.

McM-Carr has a wide selection of round-head brass brads, if you want it to look cool.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.