Thread: Raleigh/Durham Area - Favorite Hardwood and Plywood Vender?

Blog Entries

Raleigh/Durham Area - Favorite Hardwood and Plywood Vender?

Howdy,

For those experienced with the Raleigh/Durham area, who's your favorite hardwood vender? Same for plywood.

Thanks in advance.

PHM

Blog Entries
    I helped our Son and his Lady friend get their house in Durham fixed up but did not take time to venture beyond Lowes and Home Depot. My loss! I shopped once at Atlantic Veneer way over East in Beaufort and have always wanted to go back with more cash and a big van. I just doubled checked their status and they appear to have been acquired by the Mohring group? SMC has several contributors who know the importance of different shades of blue. I suspect some help will be forthcoming.

Möhring Group - Home
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-18-2023 at 8:40 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your comments Maurice.

My wife and I moved down to Wake Forest, North Carolina from Ashburn, VA to retire. In Ashburn my primary source for wood was Groff and Groff Lumber in PA. An awesome lumber yard.

I hope some local people weigh in. It would be great to get to the right places first.

PHM

Paul, The Hardwood Store in Gibonsville NC is a local source that I have used, I believe they also carry plywood.

The irony of all this, is after living in NC for more than 15 years, I still buy lumber from PA resources like Groff and Groff or Irion Lumber.
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 05-18-2023 at 8:17 AM. Reason: Spell checker helper not

https://www.capitolcitylumber.com/

I've even bought marine Baltic Birch ply from them.

Wurth on Poole Rd in Raleigh is who I used when building cabinets for a living. A trip to The Hardwood Store is most likely in your future. Well worth the time!

Wall Lumber Company in Mayodan (north of Greensboro off Hwy 220). I have purchased both hardwoods and Baltic Birch from them. Nice folks.

Try Raleigh Reclaimed in North Raleigh. Billy, the co-owner, will get you whatever you need. Great shop, too, turning out amazing work.

Paul,

I'm spoiled as I lived in Northeast PA and had numerous places to buy wood. I now live in South Carolina, near Hilton Head and the choices are not good. They are expensive and the quality is fair. Since I'm retired I can go anywhere I want. I just came back from a lumber run to Virginia.

They have a great selection with very wide boards. Prices are very fair. Check it out.

https://cpjohnsonlumber.com/

West Penn Hardwoods is also great. Bring good walking shoes. LOL

https://wphardwoods.com/

Someone already mentioned them. You can hit this and West Penn. The are about 90 minutes apart.

https://www.hardwoodstore.com/

All 3 have excellent selections of wood. West Penn has the largest collection of live edges and turning stock I've seen anywhere.

Going now to plane some 8/4 cherry I just picked up at CP.

I am not in Raleigh, but further west in the Boone area. I have made the 2 hr drive down to Steve Wall Lumber in Mayodan many times and always been pleased with quality, pricing and selection of domestics.

The pros that I know in the Triangle area typically use Wurth, Hood, Horizon and other similar distributors for plywood and more bulk hardwood.

I have heard that Oak City Customs in Zebulon sells some lumber, though they are also a custom shop. No experience personally. I have heard that Capitol City lumber is generally overpriced, but again, no personal experience.

For White Oak specifically, you should consider forum member Scott Smith in New Hill (?) I think

The Hardwood Store in Gibsonville is often recommended in the NCWW group I’m a member of, though I have never been personally.

Maybe this is helpful.
    Still waters run deep.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Paul, The Hardwood Store in Gibonsville NC is a local source that I have used, I believe they also carry plywood.

The irony of all this, is after living in NC for more than 15 years, I still buy lumber from PA resources like Groff and Groff or Irion Lumber.
    Robert,

That is kind of tempting isn't it? Rent a truck once a year or so and go on a lumber run to Groff and Groff.

Beautiful up there, Amish farm country.

PHM

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your comments. This gets me off to a good start.

PHM

Blog Entries
    Klingspor is in Cary and carries an assortment of lumber and plywood but not in any great quantities. They are basically a woodworking store. Capital lumber is pretty much strictly a lumber yard and has a large assortment. I have heard they are a little pricy.

Paul, I lived in NJ for 45 years, I kind of got spoiled with the amazing lumber yards available in PA.

The NCWoodworker.net forum posts a list of vendors and sawyers that have all types of woods available. Check them out.