Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand-held corded belt sander recommendations?

Hand-held corded belt sander recommendations?

I have one. A massive VS Porter-Cable from back when that was a badge of honor.

A friend is going to need one [he hasn't figured it out yet, but he'll get there] I have no idea what's good in the modern world. Will be used on a bench, not on dealing with stuck swollen doors in the summer.

Something you've had hands-on, please, and would gladly spend you own money on.

Gratzi
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Mine is from the era you mentioned minus it's belt cover but still functions admirably. Nice to see you posting my friend.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Makita 9903 - 3” x 21” belt - gets my vote. I have one and spent my own money on it and haven’t tossed it out yet
    Still waters run deep.

I have a Makita 9404 and like it a lot, but it isn't cheap. I personally think variable speed is a must in a belt sander, so I would make sure that whatever you buy has that feature. Barring that one feature, if budget is a concern or it will be light use, they're all about the same.

3 x 21 Rockwell with lots of hard use on it only the switch replaced. IM used to that so id buy the same in Porter cable, not as good but would close with whatever lesser stuff was used in it. The rockwell is impressive considering what it did and also that it was used when I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Nice to see you posting my friend.
    And glad to hear from you as well, sir.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    ......it isn't cheap..variable speed is a must...,
    A] Not spending my money - spending his, so I'm fine with that
    B] agree 100% on VS

Thanks

I have one of those PC 4x24 beasts from the '70's that still works because I never use it much. For a 3x21 I have a nearly as old Bosch that's much smaller and easier to handle. I don't have any complaints about it, and I probably have it because it was the best deal, or available easily when I needed it. I expect any of the major brands should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Makita 9903 - 3” x 21” belt - gets my vote. I have one and spent my own money on it and haven’t tossed it out yet
    Thanks, Phillip

Looks about right. I'm comfortable with Makita brand. 3 x 21 is good size; don't think he needs a 4 x 24. Var speed and 10# is good. For bench-top work, I think heavier is better - hook the handle with one finger and hold on as you move it around; let the belt and the weight do the work.

These guys' marketing people crack me up - always mention the mickey-mouse dust collection bag as a positive/benefit. Step #1 - Open the box; #2 - throw the bag away; #3 - connect vac hose; #4 Rock'n'roll

I like vari speed on grinders and would not buy another without it. Never tried it on a belt sander I just move faster or use less pressure but its a good thing to be aware of. As far as I know ive never needed it. Can you work it with your thumb as you hold the unit or somewhere else and you set it. How much variation in speed from low to high? have you entered any belt sander races?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V7z8kH2wDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr_G7dN0w_M

Last edited by Warren Lake; 05-17-2023 at 2:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    My current one is a 3x21 Porter Cable. It has been excellent. It is on its 2nd platten and has a parasite looking light switch stuck to the outside while I track down a proper replacement switch. I will go with a Makita when I replace it and stick with 3x21. I used 4x24 a lot in the past, the great big Rockwell's that look like a locomotive and a red plastic Milwaukee. Both were good and heavy, too heavy. A design that sits upside down is handy. I have a freebie, usually with a 120 grit belt, secured upside down. it is very handy for small work.
    The front handle on the Porter Cable gets in the way of using the front roller as a spindle sander. I remove it when needed.

IMG_1383.jpg The earth shoe bag works well. The light switch has to go, although I am all ready for belt sander races. I do not use the Porter Cable for woodworking much these days but it is handy for making things fit during installs.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-17-2023 at 2:40 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The great big Rockwell's that look like a locomotive.......
    I always wondered what it would be like to drive that sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    A design that sits upside down is handy
    Good grooming tip - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    There are no unworthy activities when the correct brand of canned beer is involved.

For bench use a seperate speed control box is cheap enough. I did not see much point of VS on my little ROS.
    Watch the amps this horrible fright one is only 8 amps. Probably cheap enough to replace then scr with a bigger one.
    BilL D.
    edit: Amazon and the bay have 15 amp models.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/router...SABEgIT7vD_BwE
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-17-2023 at 3:26 PM.

Although I rarely use a belt sander these days the best balanced sanders I have are the 3 x 21 Swiss made Bosch and the 4 x 24 Hitachi. I have had both for many years. I also have the Porter Cable 3 x 21 and 4 x 24 belt sanders and both are excellent tools. But the Bosch and Hitachi previously mentioned are the ones I grab first.