Thread: Houston, we have a Problem

Houston, we have a Problem

I was towing a big log, over a ton, yesterday when suddenly everything came to a halt. No mistaking why.

Some welding and an added gusset and it's back in use today. Not how I expected to spend my afternoon, though.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 05-17-2023 at 12:39 PM.

Blog Entries
    logging is such rugged work!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Hope you put at least one gusset down by the hitch too. The arch looks way under built for big logs. A pintle hitch would be far superior too.

Pictures reminds me I need to find up my log arch I built with best friend back in the eighties, when I could WELD. Now my welds look like a bubble gum storage piles. When I look back at my welding from younger days, it amazes me. I made some pig cookers, using fuel oil drums (14 ga metal,) to which I welded four inch schedule 40 pipe for smoke stacks. Welds look like a machine did them. The older I get, the better I used to be, especially when it comes to welding!!
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 06-03-2023 at 9:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Hope you put at least one gusset down by the hitch too. The arch looks way under built for big logs. A pintle hitch would be far superior too.
    Nope, no need. I designed the arch for 18" logs. That's why it looks under built for the 32" logs it can now handle after I upsized it. But I've been hauling logs that are well over a ton with it for at least 15 years now and this is the first break, and that only occurred because I didn't get the log properly balanced over the wheels. When the log is loaded correctly there is very little load on anything other than the arch itself, and that's more than up to the task.

John

6. I may just be a masochist but I tend to enjoy fixing things that break as long as it's not on the side of the road.