Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch

I wore a watch for years and have a Fitbit and like it as a good middle ground and use it for the health functions as well. I’m pretty much with Derek in the fact that I’m looking for ways to limit connectivity. I made a point to have my kids have no cell phones or much computer access until they were middle teens but that’s no longe possible; they were the last generation that could do that. Ironically, I’m writing this while on a plane to Oz somewhere over the ocean, about the last place I would have thought internet access would be easy. Smaller world indeed!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Has anyone found a good weather app that works on the Watch? I tried one Carrot, and it was nice But for $39 per year, yikes!

Right now I have AccuWeather and its on my IPhone as well and its perfect and just $19 I think one time and I like it enough I will pay when I get tired of the ads. But its really bare bones on the Watch, unless I am missing something?
    I’m not sure what weather info you’re looking for but the Apple weather app does what I need.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I wore a watch for years and have a Fitbit and like it as a good middle ground and use it for the health functions as well. I’m pretty much with Derek in the fact that I’m looking for ways to limit connectivity. I made a point to have my kids have no cell phones or much computer access until they were middle teens but that’s no longe possible; they were the last generation that could do that. Ironically, I’m writing this while on a plane to Oz somewhere over the ocean, about the last place I would have thought internet access would be easy. Smaller world indeed!
    Christopher, if you are planning on the west side of the island, I do expect a visit!

Regards from Perth (Western Australia)

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jim, it’s not the calls you make, but the notifications and calls you receive. I appreciate the Dick Tracy technology - I dreamed of this when a kid - but the reality is different .. for me.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    They do not need to be turned on. But you are correct...you need to do what's the best for you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am enjoying discovering new things about my Apple Watch every day and yes I downloaded and installed the new updated Weather app free from Apple and along with AccuWeather that is almost good that's all I need for weather. I did download and learning Wrist Route GPS and its decent, not perfect. Thanks Jim and others for the help!!
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    That was my concern. Working around and in machinery there is more things than you ever thought possible to get oil, grease, coolant, and more on the device. Then there are many hard, sharp, and protruding things that abuse any smooth surface like a watch face. Then the scratches and scrapes that hands and arms endure is another subject. I'm retired now but my Garmin gave me 2-1/2 years of dependable service and is mostly no worse for the wear.
    Overall, my Apple Watch has been pretty durable. I've had it over two years and it has withstood a lot of abuse. The only two times I can recall getting any scratches in the face were- 1. when I left it on working under my motorcycle and I found my arm in a tight spot and scratched it when dragging out on something metal (yeah, supid, I know) and 2. when a spray paint can exploded in my face (again, stupid mistake and completly my fault)- I had white paint everywhere, like a bomb went off. I scrubbed and scrubbed the paint off my watch and got a little too agressive with the watch face. But nothing too bad and it still looks OK. I also ruined my glasses and had to get my lenses replaced, for the same reason. My watch fared better.

I tried a silicone sleeve made to protect it once, but I didn't like it. It made the slim profile not slim anymore. I guess it would be worth it to research better screen protectors on the next one.
    Last edited by Ernie Hobbs; 06-04-2023 at 1:54 PM.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Well I had my Apple Watch with the screen protector referenced above the entire time repairing my Yamaha outboard, removed lower gear drive assy and replaced the water pump. Same thing on today running it a a tub of water for testing. For $5 how can you justify not using?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Well I had my Apple Watch with the screen protector referenced above the entire time repairing my Yamaha outboard, removed lower gear drive assy and replaced the water pump. Same thing on today running it a a tub of water for testing. For $5 how can you justify not using?
    I used the silicone covers on my previous apple watch 3 and it was great. It withstood all sorts of abuse and when it became too foggy and stained, it was cheap and easy to replace it. With my new apple watch 7, the same brand silicone covers were not designed as well. Every day I had to take it off and clean the dust and debris on the inside of the cover. There were wider gaps where the wrist band attaches allowing all sorts of gunk to get on the watch face. Plus, I couldn't swipe or tap on complications because the silicone desensitized it. I was hesitant about going without a cover on my new watch, but it's been over 1.5 year now and I don't see any obvious scratches.

When it comes to apps, I have a few different counting apps that allow me to keep track of my counts on different projects. One easy app is called "Clicker" and I use it for so many things. I mainly use it for my engraving projects when I'm working on repetitive items. I even used it at an event to keep track of how many people came up to "greet the puppy" one day and surprisingly it was 117 and the pup was ready to start over and greet everyone again. There are so many useful apps for the watch now. Drink water reminder, reminders to take your meds, track your sleep habits, Tip calculators, Tides, Hiking, etc.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Found another use two days ago, the GPS app I installed will give me speed and direction of heading and a few more details when I took the Pontoon boat out for a run.

Thanks for this thread. My Wife asked for a Fitbit for her birthday because her sister has one. We use iphones, so she's going to get a nice surprise when she gets an Apple Watch. We don't follow this sort of thing, so I doubt she's ever even paid attention to knowing that there is such a thing. The Find My Phone app alone will be worth it.

Tom, Professor Dr. SWMBO uses her watch "a whole bunch" to find where she put down her iPhone in the house...she has some short term memory issues. The watch is a champ for that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Thanks for this thread. My Wife asked for a Fitbit for her birthday because her sister has one. We use iphones, so she's going to get a nice surprise when she gets an Apple Watch. We don't follow this sort of thing, so I doubt she's ever even paid attention to knowing that there is such a thing. The Find My Phone app alone will be worth it.
    What a great surprise for your wife! Now she can convince her sister to upgrade to an apple watch and they can "Walkie-Talkie" each other. (I haven't tried that feature since no one else I communicate with have an apple watch.)

Find My iPhone is definitely a useful feature. I also use it to play with my dog ... she will race over to where the hidden phone made the sound and show me her alert signal. ...
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

I probably should have asked here first, but I ordered the 41mm Series 8. I don't think she would like the bigger ones. Any comments are welcomed. I can probably change the order.

Wife has a series 4 40mm and is happy with it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks guys! The Apple Watch is a hit!