Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch

Late to the party but I have a Garmin Instinct watch. When still working I needed a durable watch and there is no way any watch like an Apple or similar would have taken the abuse that working on machinery would have dished out. At the very least the face would have become scratched up if the grease and oils didn't do harm. The instinct is a smart watch that syncs with my phone but has a rugged body like a G-shock watch. recessed face to protect it. It's going on 4 years old. It has more capabilities than I use but it tells me when emails, texts, and phone calls come in along with GPS. also heart rate and step monitoring and much more. As I said it can do much more than I use but it is an alternative if you want a rugged design. I'm not saying the Apple watch might not handle the abuse but the screen would be most certainly much worse for the wear.

Well its headed back, it will not pair with my Bluetooth hearing aids and I can't hear the sound when its on the loudest settings without them. Big disappointment. Replying to an email or text, sure you have canned responses to send otherwise you need to dictate. Sorry Apple.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Bill, that's true...watch doesn't pair with HA.

Ronald, my Apple Watch has been very durable over four years. The glass they use is tough stuff. And, of course, there are third party covers for increased protection. But it's good that the Garmin product has been a nice fit for you!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Well its headed back, it will not pair with my Bluetooth hearing aids and I can't hear the sound when its on the loudest settings without them. Big disappointment. Replying to an email or text, sure you have canned responses to send otherwise you need to dictate. Sorry Apple.
    Google: can i pair hearing aids to apple watch? It sounds like it is doable. I've never tried it myself.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've had an Apple watch for several years. It's most useful for keeping track of exercise (and showing the time). I have a bunch of watch faces - and I like that. It is nice to get a notice that you got a text, even though I go to my iPhone to respond. It's not a life changing device.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Google: can i pair hearing aids to apple watch? It sounds like it is doable. I've never tried it myself.
    I don't know details but my brother has hearing aids that pair with his phone. He didn't get along with 'normal' hearing aids but that Apple/Whatever combo works for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I don't know details but my brother has hearing aids that pair with his phone. He didn't get along with 'normal' hearing aids but that Apple/Whatever combo works for him.
    My aids pair with my iPhone...'just not the watch. I don't find it limiting as I don't get many calls and wear my phone in a belt holster anyway...'takes just a few seconds to pull it out for a phone call.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My aids pair with my iPhone...'just not the watch. I don't find it limiting as I don't get many calls and wear my phone in a belt holster anyway...'takes just a few seconds to pull it out for a phone call.
    I have mine paired with my iphone also. I never saw the need to pair with my watch.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Outside of measuring and recording maps of walks, I really don't see much use for mine. (And the iPhone does that to some degree too.) I initially purchased it during Covid as I was anticipating open-heart surgery, and wanted an easy way to measure my oxygen saturation without walking around with a pulse ox. And there is a small benefit to it recording your EKG, though it's not very sophisticated.

All in all, really not fond of it. On the other hand, SWMBO loves hers.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I resisted going with an Apple Watch for a long time, but when my insurance company had a promotion where I got a free one in exchange for exercise (tracked my steps and "paid it off" over time), I decided to get one. I have the SE, which is a few years old now. I mainly use it for tracking steps and controlling my bluetooth headphones when I walk every day. Since I walk about 6 miles a day, it is a key part of my routine. Also, I find the notifications are helpful, since I am not great at looking at my phone when it is in my pocket or on silent. While I have several other watches, I don't see going back to those. The only problem is that I had a minor explosion of an aerosol can in the shop (another story for another day) and after I scrubbed paint off of my watch face, the crystal is a bit scratched. But not too bad.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    like an Apple or similar would have taken the abuse that working on machinery would have dished out. At the very least the face would have become scratched up if the grease and oils didn't do harm.
    I've had that problem with my Apple watch. When I'm working with solvents or finish or something that could get on my watch, I try to remember to pull my rubber gloves up over my watch to protect it. There is a blue one from Harbor Freight that has longer cuffs that is ok for this. I don't always remember, though and I've had a few mishaps and my watch has the scratches to prove it.
    Ernie Hobbs
    Winston-Salem, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Hobbs View Post
    I've had that problem with my Apple watch. When I'm working with solvents or finish or something that could get on my watch, I try to remember to pull my rubber gloves up over my watch to protect it. There is a blue one from Harbor Freight that has longer cuffs that is ok for this. I don't always remember, though and I've had a few mishaps and my watch has the scratches to prove it.
    That was my concern. Working around and in machinery there is more things than you ever thought possible to get oil, grease, coolant, and more on the device. Then there are many hard, sharp, and protruding things that abuse any smooth surface like a watch face. Then the scratches and scrapes that hands and arms endure is another subject. I'm retired now but my Garmin gave me 2-1/2 years of dependable service and is mostly no worse for the wear.

The Apple watch face is single crystal sapphire, which is tough. Sapphire is the hardest transparent material other than diamond. It can be scratched but not easily. I doubt is many oils or solvents would affect it. My watch is several years old and there are no scratches that are obvious.

Sapphire has been around for watch faces for quite a while now. If you have a quality watch, of any kind, it probalby has a sapphire face.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Well after reading some of the posts here and elsewhere and doing some research I purchased a cheap watch not Apple off Amazon. What a POS it looked nice and did some stuff but it was no Apple Watch. I then discovered you can buy some very good protective covers for the Apple and not worry. So I purchased another Apple Watch this time with Cellular IF someday I want to just take it and not the IPhone. These are Apple Refurb watches with a one year warranty from Apple, just like brand new. Yes I got a very nice protective cover and I am learning the watch.... again.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B81KT2C...roduct_details
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-28-2023 at 9:58 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

The functionality of the Apple Watch is pretty rich, so I can appreciate how the knock-off was not very satisfying. But as has been mentioned, don't worry a "yuge" amount about durability. After four years including all the moving and shop construction, etc., mine has just a few tiny "micro scratches". I really have not felt a need to further protect it. The cellular version can be very handy if you do need to be untethered from your phone and the uplift in cost isn't big.
    --