Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Apple Watch

The Apple Watch face glass is very durable. I’ve been wearing mine for four years and I have to hold the watch just right under a light to see any faint scratches. I suspect the protective cover won’t be as durable. JMO
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    The Apple Watch face glass is very durable. I’ve been wearing mine for four years and I have to hold the watch just right under a light to see any faint scratches. I suspect the protective cover won’t be as durable. JMO
    Well for $10 I get two and I am working on shop, car and boat stuff so why take a chance?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

$10 is cheap insurance. I hope the extra layer is as responsive to finger input. It likely is.
    You will enjoy the watch.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a couple of grandkids on our AT&T wireless plan, both Iphone users. The 19YO bought an Apple watch. I was a little surprised to see an monthly charge for its service on the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My aids pair with my iPhone...'just not the watch. I don't find it limiting as I don't get many calls and wear my phone in a belt holster anyway...'takes just a few seconds to pull it out for a phone call.
    My Phonak aids speak Bluetooth to my Iphone also. For the first time in years I can actually hold a decent phone conversation. Don't even have to touch the phone to answer as the RH aid has a small button that does that function, and the hearing aid mikes pick up my voice. Works in the house with a range of probably 25-30 feet through walls. Further if only one wall or no wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Combs View Post
    I have a couple of grandkids on our AT&T wireless plan, both Iphone users. The 19YO bought an Apple watch. I was a little surprised to see an monthly charge for its service on the bill.
    If you have it set up on your Cellular plan so he can make calls or texts without having his IPhone, yes they will charge.

If its just Bluetooth to his IPhone there should not be a charge, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    $10 is cheap insurance. I hope the extra layer is as responsive to finger input. It likely is.
    You will enjoy the watch.
    Actually its just $5 insurance... it was 2 for $10 and change.

If your 19YO bought one with the cellular option, there is a small monthly charge for that "line", even though it's tied for phone call purposes to the iPhone number. Apple Watch that's WiFI only (or also including cellular that's not activated) has no effect on your wireless plan.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Phonak aids speak Bluetooth to my Iphone also. For the first time in years I can actually hold a decent phone conversation. Don't even have to touch the phone to answer as the RH aid has a small button that does that function, and the hearing aid mikes pick up my voice. Works in the house with a range of probably 25-30 feet through walls. Further if only one wall or no wall.
    Mine HA are Rexton, but similar situation for me...I can actually hear phone conversations really well. It's like using speaker phone mode but with the privacy that anyone nearby can only hear my voice if I say something. They do not hear what's in my ears.
    --

Boy am I swimming against the tide here! I do not want an Apple watch, and would not wear one if it was a gift. Life is already far too intrusive with cell phones. There is less space than in years past.

I do remember 40 years back, when friends would only call around dinner time. We would wait patiently until then. I did have an answering machine, but it was manual, and could only be checked for messages when you got home. And no one expected to be called back immediately.

As a 10 year old youngster, one of my memories was playing chess with an uncle. Chess was not unusual in my time (that would have been around 1960). What was different was that my uncle lived in London. So we played by correspondence: I would write my move on a postcard and send it to him. He would reply the same way …. We continued this path for 2 1/2 years before we met up to finish the game.

How many 10 year olds can do this today?

Time is a precious thing. Space in time is becoming increasingly rare, with TV, Internet, Zoom, instant eMail, FaceTime, etc, etc making all expectant on the instant.

When last did you ignore a call?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Boy am I swimming against the tide here! I do not want an Apple watch, and would not wear one if it was a gift. Life is already far too intrusive with cell phones. There is less space than in years past.

I do remember 40 years back, when friends would only call around dinner time. We would wait patiently until then. I did have an answering machine, but it was manual, and could only be checked for messages when you got home. And no one expected to be called back immediately.

As a 10 year old youngster, one of my memories was playing chess with an uncle. Chess was not unusual in my time (that would have been around 1960). What was different was that my uncle lived in London. So we played by correspondence: I would write my move on a postcard and send it to him. He would reply the same way …. We continued this path for 2 1/2 years before we met up to finish the game.

How many 10 year olds can do this today?

Time is a precious thing. Space in time is becoming increasingly rare, with TV, Internet, Zoom, instant eMail, FaceTime, etc, etc making all expectant on the instant.

When last did you ignore a call?

Regards from Perth

Derek

I thought mostly the same. plus I have a few nice watches I like to where. One day I got a bug that I need one and now I find I am both more and less attached. In my house/ office/ garage I dump the phone so I no longer need to carry around the brick. And when there is an alert I can twist my wrist a little and find out 80% of the time its a spam call/ email/social media. and if it is a call I can decide whether its worth picking up the phone. When it was just the phone I found myself pulling it out to find out I wasted my time or climbed off a ladder because of some useless alert.

Has anyone found a good weather app that works on the Watch? I tried one Carrot, and it was nice But for $39 per year, yikes!

Right now I have AccuWeather and its on my IPhone as well and its perfect and just $19 I think one time and I like it enough I will pay when I get tired of the ads. But its really bare bones on the Watch, unless I am missing something?
    Last edited by Bill George; 06-01-2023 at 10:19 AM.

Derek, you don't need to use the Apple Watch for calls if you don't want to...it's a very rare day that I do that for sure. But I do use it for, well...time...as well as weather, certain notifications from appliances, the timer app extensively while cooking, etc. And it's uber-comfortable on my wrist.
    --

Jim, it’s not the calls you make, but the notifications and calls you receive. I appreciate the Dick Tracy technology - I dreamed of this when a kid - but the reality is different .. for me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Generally i am aligned with your train of thought, but i did get an Apple watch several months ago. Daily i have worn the same watch my wife gave me on our wedding day 44 years ago, and i still do.

I got the Apple watch to wear at night to monitor my sleep stages. It has given me better peace of mind, so for the "health" function it has been well worth it to me. Perhaps overkill, but worth it to me.

Admittedly, i am not a power user of the watch. My iphone is always in my pocket and i use it for calls, monitoring office emails when away from the office, texting with my 5 adult kids (since their generation does not feel compelled to answer a phone call), etc. I do not foresee changing from the fine mechanical analog watch.

Best, Patrick