Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best type of dust collector for lung cancer survivor

I advised on an installation in a Men's Shed that had rudimentary dust extraction and some members who suffered from Asthma were forced to leave the building due to poor dust control. Using the parameters I outlined above we were able to reduce the dust to almost ambient levels mainly due to the automatic blast gate system we developed. I would advise an auto BG system for ultimate dust control and Alan L. can attest to how much difference it makes. As I said above the overall result is not about using the best dust extractor but rather having the installed system work at peak efficiency. The big advantage we have in Australia is 99% of DE ducted systems exhaust to atmosphere and thus no filters.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 05-18-2023 at 8:45 AM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Hey @alanlightstone, Thank you for sharing your expertise

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    I advised on an installation in a Men's Shed that had rudimentary dust extraction and some members who suffered from Asthma were forced to leave the building due to poor dust control. Using the parameters I outlined above we were able to reduce the dust to almost ambient levels mainly due to the automatic blast gate system we developed. I would advise an auto BG system for ultimate dust control and Alan L. can attest to how much difference it makes. As I said above the overall result is not about using the best dust extractor but rather having the installed system work at peak efficiency. The big advantage we have in Australia is 99% of DE ducted systems exhaust to atmosphere and thus no filters.
    No question exhausting to outside would be optimal, if your climate allowed that. A total non-starter for me in Florida on the Gulf of Mexico, but don't know your location.

And yes, automated blast gates are fantastic, but I would get top-notch equipment as mentioned above first. If then there is money floating around, my Grit Automation system is the bomb. But get the air that goes into your lungs as clean as possible first.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I see several people trying to recommend big 3HP and 5HP Oneida/Clearvue cyclones. While these are definitely superior solutions, they are significantly more expensive. The OP put forth 4 different options in the $2000-2600 range. We can assume that his budget is maxing out at the 2.6k point, so a $4500 cyclone is going to be way out of his budget (especially when you look at all the ducting requirements).

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    I see several people trying to recommend big 3HP and 5HP Oneida/Clearvue cyclones. While these are definitely superior solutions, they are significantly more expensive. The OP put forth 4 different options in the $2000-2600 range. We can assume that his budget is maxing out at the 2.6k point, so a $4500 cyclone is going to be way out of his budget (especially when you look at all the ducting requirements).
    Yea, I recommended what I own, Supercell, which goes for is 2599 and up. Dust Gorilla 1799. Both are viable options with HEPA filtration and I can personally vouch that in my "advanced" hobbyist shop that includes an industrial CNC, the Oneida is outstanding.

I will add that they have a coupon code for $100 in accessories as well, so you can pickup a 2.5" hose for free and vacuum your whole shop, which is one thing I love about my Supercell.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    He put forward a range of machines which happened to be in that price range and the suggestions are of the best machines for the job which he may have not considered. It is the old story, how much value do you put on your health, me I would borrow the money if I was in his position but did not have the available funds because I think my health is worth that much to me. It always surprises me that WW's will pay extravagant amounts of money that produces the dust then won't spend enough to protect their own health. I won't debate this stuff, your choice is your choice and if the end result is health problems then so be it.
    Chris

Pardon my ignorance.

Can you somehow vent this outside? Or have your dust collector in a closet not connected to your airspace?
    I'm in the process of putting together my first dust collector (Delta 50-760 + steel SDD + Wynn Merv 15 filter).

If I was building a workshop from the ground up, I'd vent out the stuff outside.
    I'd also have multiple circuits, with some at 220 V....instead of a single 15 amp 110 V circuit for my entire garage/workshop.

Location and Climate? You can vent direct to outside if the replacement air is comfortable for you. Some fine dust will blow out and coat plants, as will some blower noise. So it depends on climate and you tolerance. As was stated earlier not a big issue in Australia. Might not work well in winter time Alaska.
    Bill D
    Right now on clist in my state I see a Grizzly 3hp cyclone with cartridge filter for $1,500 or. a 3hp grizzly double bag 3hp set up for $850. I would replace the bags with better.
    The cyclone unit list price is 2,,800 delivered. So it is on sale for 1/2 price. Or about 2/3 the price of new units in your price range for 50% more power.
    Some used units come with some amount of ducting
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-19-2023 at 6:26 PM.

I highly recommend looking for a 3-5 hp unit on the used market. probably get one for the cost of a 2hp new unit or less. Many will replace the new or old filters with newer design smaller micron rating anyway.
    Not much wear on a dust collector other then motor bearings. Not much design change in the last 100 years.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Can you somehow vent this outside? Or have your dust collector in a closet not connected to your airspace?
    If you are in a residential neighborhood, you will likely be violating noise constraints and creating a problem for your neighbors. If you are out on a farm with lot's of distance to your neighbors, you can likely vent outside however you want. If you do vent outside, make sure there is a door or vent opening large enough for fresh air to come into your workshop. The dust collector is basically sucking air out of your workshop. Also, be aware of any gas vent ports. You do not want any gas vapor to be sucked back into your workshop (this is stuff like water heater natural gas exhaust vents/ports).

I believe I have read that some cities have regulations/restrictions on venting outside if you are a woodworking business.

Congratulations on beating lung cancer!!! From the post, do you think because of your history of lung cancer you have some increased risk with dust exposure? Just curious as it does not appear that wood dust has been conclusively been shown to cause cancer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3184400/

Do you think because perhaps you may have had part of a lobe of a lung removed due to cancer, you are more at risk of dust related problems than someone who never had lung cancer and treatment because of having less overall lung tissue? Just curious, as I saw your post and tried to find info on that. The answer would seem to influence if you need to go above and beyond what others have to do for a given level of projection or not.

I agree that PPE is everything as Alan Lightstone suggested.

What has ended up in my shop right now is
    1-a 2hp and a 3hp fan pulling from a filter chamber that pulls from a cyclone that is hard piped with 30 gauge pipe to equipment. Wired up to start when any connected power tool starts up or a wall switch is on.
    2-Rigid shop vac hooked to a small cyclone hooked to 2" schd 40 pvc that is piped around the shop for vac hoses connected to portable power tools
    3-old furnace fan boxed in under the workbench with two inlets, each one has a 24x24x18or24 bag filter with a 24x24x2"or4" prefilter in front of it This fan runs when I am in the shop and a lot of times for weeks at a time. Per my wife this fan cleans the air good enough that she can come down about anytime. If this fan is off she leaves with her asthma flared up pretty fast even if I am using the other two.
    I probably will make some more changes in time. However, the old furnace fan is going nowhere. I might add another one in a different part of the shop over by the belt sanders.

JUST REMEMBER the particles you can't see are the ones that get you.
    Good luck
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Cancer Demons seem to have the same M.O. as Cupid,
    "They don't take aim they just Bang, Bang, Bang"
    We speculate about the causes of our parents cancer often. I have been wondering about the fly spray that was used a lot in the dairy barn. It was incredibly powerful and used often. The protection was to hold your breath as you sprayed on your way out. He also sprayed a lot of paint, stain, varnish and lacquer. His respirator protocol was no where close to OSHA standards.
    I have read a little about the role genetics play. Dads treatment was changed recently after having a genetic profile worked up. His previous treatment was making him very sick and not slowing down the cancer. He can tolerate his new treatment and the cancer has diminished a little.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Gelman View Post
    Congratulations on beating lung cancer!!! From the post, do you think because of your history of lung cancer you have some increased risk with dust exposure? Just curious as it does not appear that wood dust has been conclusively been shown to cause cancer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3184400/

I agree that PPE is everything as Alan Lightstone suggested.
    A more recent meta-analysis published in Occup Environ Med would suggest that it does, though interesting not in Nordic countries where softwood dust is the primary exposure:
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26403531/

The study you quoted was also looking at softwood dust, not hardwood. Wood dust has been pretty conclusively linked to nasopharygeal cancers.

And another recent meta-analysis from the Journal of Exposure Science & Environmental Epidemiology shows that people in wood dust related occupations have an increased risk of developing small-cell lung cancer. (Relative risk = 1.41).
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41370-023-00538-w

I've seen WAY too many cases of mesothelioma and small-cell lung cancers (actually all pathologies of lung cancer). This protection is a small price to pay for your health. Especially as Eddie is a lung cancer survivor and legitimately concerned about this.

In my personal medical opinion (as well as clearly many others researching this), you should avoid inhaling wood dust as much as possible to protect yourself. PPE is everything if you have quality gear and its worn perfectly. Since it's difficult/impossible to wear it correctly 100% of the time, all the other measures we have discussed (air filters, good DC systems, etc...) are very important too.

End of lecture.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

To reinforce what Alan has written I was talking to my oncologist some time back (Thymoma checkup) and told him of the dust education seminars I was part of, he said that it was about time that someone started educating WW's about how dangerous fine dust really is. You can't see the airborne dust that presents the most danger so everyone assumes that picking up the big stuff has done the job when the exact opposite is the case.

Bill Pentz was the original messenger and got driven away from WW fora when he tried to educate the WW community and everyone shouted him down, the vitriol was really bad and that is the reason I won't debate dust extraction. Either accept the proven facts as we know them or don't accept them, it is your health and no one else's, mind you there are people in this world who still smoke cigarettes!!
    Chris