Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of this sliding tablesaw

Talk me out of this sliding tablesaw

I have the opportunity of getting this saw, for let's say very cheaply. Rockwell / SCM L'vincible 15" blade. Large machine. It runs and cuts, but it's older and in a well-used shop. I could use a slider, I really could. But I don't want a problem machine and I really don't have much space left in my shop as it is...would have to do some serious reconfiguring, maybe get rid of an assembly table.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 20.42.33.jpg

looks just like this one

Last edited by Jonathan Jung; 05-16-2023 at 11:57 PM.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Biggest issue is likely the bearing system that the slider runs on, or the rails that the bearings ride on. How old is that saw, 20-30 years old?

THink twice before buying this. You should not regret

I have the short stroke version of this saw (SI-15F) and I really like it for what it is. My shop cannot fit a full stroke slider so I don’t even entertain that as an option and feel grateful that I get to work on even a “1/2” stroke machine.

The machine in the first photo looks older than mine, which has mustard yellow paint. The green ones are likely from late 70s or *maybe* very beginning of the 80s based on my past research. This could be incorrect.

My saw has a fully cast iron sliding table and auxiliary outrigger/cross cut support and the sliding section is 7.5” to the left of the blade with a traditional type zero clearance insert. This one looks to be an aluminum (?) slider that is just left of the blade, which is more modern and generally more
    convenient for clamping and cutting shorter parts accurately and easily. It might complicate the dado process, not sure on that one, but on my saw it is very simple and quick to change to dado by swapping out the insert and everything fits on the arbor like a cabinet saw.

The sliding table and its carriage / infrastructure below should be checked thoroughly for wear and play/slop both side to side and vertically. I cannot tell if the sliding table bearing system is the same as what’s on mine, but I have side to side slop at either extreme of my sliding table stroke that seems to be endemic to the design of the sliding system. At the extreme, It looses contact with enough bearings underneath to keep it totally play-free and can move left to right maybe 1/32-1/16” total (?)

I use a track saw initially anyways and work this limitation into my work flow with an already short stroke saw, but if I had a full stroke saw then I would be likely expecting to use it to its fullest stroke potential and this may be an issue. Just check it out in person and see if you can induce side to side play within the limits of the stroke you plan on using. It may be a non issue, but really one of those things you have to assess in person.

Does it have a crosscut fence, flip stops, all rip fence components present? The are well built analog saws, although somewhat crude compared to newer sliders 5-10x more expensive. Mine cuts extremely well and accurately and has loads of power and 4 1/2” depth of cut. Simple as it gets, which I like for my shop, but everyone is different.

I use a pair of the 6” Kreg automaxx Clamps with t slot nut hardware that fits in the sliding table slots for clamping / hold downs and it works very well for not much $. Probably better and certainly more flexible than the single oem miter gauge type hold down.

Maybe this helps. Im happy to answer more questions if you have any. I am not an old SCMI expert but I have or have had enough of the 70s-80s era ones to have to put in some time researching, etc and they are generally very nice machines for the $$ unless they have been abused or are missing loads of parts.

What is the asking price of the saw?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still waters run deep.

Looking closer at the photos again, I see it is badged Rockwell (which mine is also.) This happened in the 80s, according to my research, so I would date it to that era. They must have continued to use the old green paint on some machines of that era. Looks like most, if not all of the sliding table accessories are there. I would check the table for play and if acceptable to you then go for it. Not much to go wrong with these if the sliding table isn’t thrashed.
    Still waters run deep.

Two questions:

1. How will this purchase make you more money? Is there some bottle neck that this saw speeds up? Remember that the cost of the saw doesn’t stop when you pick it up, but also the time to transport, setup, troubleshoot, dust collection, accessories, etc.

2. What’s the opportunity cost? In other words, what else could you do with the time and money you would invest in the saw? Could you complete an additional job instead? Up-level your skills by attending a formal class? Display your work at a public event to expand your client base? Would saving toward a modern saw with a warranty be a better option?

Looks like a great saw, but perhaps there are (less fun) areas of your business where the money/time are better spent.

If you're a hobbyist, this seems like more trouble than it's worth IMHO. If you're a professional, how will this help your business? Keegan makes a very good set of points you should work through.

SCM stuff I have in that colour are from the 60's. Often you can date from the serial tag if you know how they did it

Hey Jonathan, I've picked up big items like this on a whim because they were cheap or free. But ultimately, for me at least, they turned into time wasted on rehabbing or storing them before ultimately realizing that they either were not the solution I was hoping for or because they were just too worn or outdated to be truly useful. Given the floor space required for a slider, I would want to be confident that it would cut as reliably and accurately as a newer machine with fewer miles on it.
    Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 05-17-2023 at 3:24 PM.
    JR

How much trouble is it to replace the tubular rails and runners on a slider? Do people scrape them back to shape like metal lathes bedways?
    BilL D

Jonathan,

A few words to let you know that somebody has posted a Felder K975 for sale on the FOG site. It is a 3 phase model built in 2004. The machine is south of San Francisco; not next door for you but better than on the East Coast ��.

Regards,

Jacques
    Last edited by Jacques Gagnon; 05-17-2023 at 11:15 PM. Reason: corrected model number

I was once told that replacing phenolic ways on an old altendorf would be over 4k. had a german tool and die maker friend that would have figured it and done it cheaper. He was a really good problem solver inventor type. Those guys are more rare than ever if even still around.

I would agree with everything Philip Mitchell said. Check it out in person and if the carriage is not thrashed, the extension table doesn't sag, the main table is flat, the arbor runs true and quiet, the wiring looks ok, it cuts a straight line without deviation, the fences are solid and easily adjustable, all the essential parts are there and the price is right, go for it. Base your decision on condition, not age. If it needs significant work, pass it by. Those old SCMIs are pretty simple and rugged machines and a full size slider will make your work easier and more accurate. If you have room, maybe tucked into the back right corner of the slider, keep your cabinet saw for dados, general ripping and odd jobs.

You are correct about us Tool and Die Makers being rare. I dropped off an application for part time work at a CNC machine shop. I got a call within 2 hours for an interview the same day. I was asked how many hours I wanted to work and I said Monday, Wednesday and Friday 7- noon and was hired on the spot. I am in the tool room and have all manual machines. I rarely see a blueprint usually it is a shecht of what is needed, I would say problem solver and inventor is about correct. The Ratio used to be 1 Tool Maker to 1,000 production workers but I am sure that gap has widened. I was 74 at the time, now I am 77 and still working. And I can use their machines any time I want, to build what ever I want, when I am not on the clock. hench making a router table out of an old shaper table which I posted pictures of, on this forum.

You are right most people don't have any idea that we even exist.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Biggest issue is likely the bearing system that the slider runs on, or the rails that the bearings ride on. How old is that saw, 20-30 years old?
    more like 40+………….Rockwell’s Tool div. was sold off in the very early 80’s.