Thread: Aftermarket Chuck that fits a Trotec Rotary

Aftermarket Chuck that fits a Trotec Rotary

I have a Trotec Speedy 300 that has a rotary unit which will accept a 80mm or 3" Chuck.

The spindle has a male M10-1.5 stud that is 19mm long to the shoulder.

Trotec sells a Czeck-made TOS Svitavy 80mm 3-jaw chuck with a bolt on adapter for $$$$.

I am looking for a more cost effective solution since I will only use this setup on rare occasions for engraving pens, etc.

Has anyone found an aftermarket chuck and more importantly an M10-1.5 adapter that will work?

Thanks for your help.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

A friend suggested that I might have something 3D printed or even use 1/2" acrylic for the adapter since the rotary only turns the chuck about 1/4 RPM depending on the engraving size. He pointed out that a rotary is a very different situation from a lathe.

I also checked with the Little Machine Shop and they sell a 4" unthreaded adapter plate that I could either drill & tap myself or get a local machine shop to do it.

I'm wondering if I would be better served by a 4-jaw woodworking chuck anyway given the selection of bolt-on jaws that are available. Then again, my larger OneWay Talon chucks might be too heavy for the rotary.

Any thoughts?

I use the following setup when engraving pens with the Trotec rotary attachment, simple but effective. There is a thread here detailing my setup that uses a couple of pen bushings and parts that fit the rotary perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-17-2023 at 5:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I use the following setup when engraving pens with the Trotec rotary attachment, simple but effective. There is a thread here detailing my setup that uses a couple of pen bushings and parts that fit the rotary perfectly.
    Thanks for the tip.