Thread: Designing a table top so it can be dismantle and reinstalled repeatedly

Designing a table top so it can be dismantle and reinstalled repeatedly

Most of my dressers or small tables I use corner blocks and just screw from underneath into the top. I don't expect them to be moved a lot.

I want to build a sewing table assembly that I can breakdown and move and set up again reusing the same mounting holes in the bottom of the top. One table is @ 7ft long with four legs, 2nd table is about 5-1/2 ft long with two legs and sits 90 degrees to the other and they both sit in the corner of the room. I plan to connect the two leg table skirt to skirt with the 4 leg table using four furniture connectors through the skirts. Plan is to make the two tops use corner blocks, and install this in the shop and route the edge with a round over bit. Then take the tops off and disassemble the bases from each other and move it into my wife's sewing room then reassemble. I am Ok with my plan for the bases, but I need to be able to hold the routed edge when I put the tops back on.

I was thinking of using 1/4-20 threaded inserts in the top (overkill, but I have a bunch of them in the shop) and once assembled, route the edge and this should let me put it back together and hold the routed edge at the joint?

Appreciate any ideas on a better way to go about it. Thanks, Brian

20230516_101357.jpg20230516_101429.jpg
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Seems like a sensible plan to me. I would be thinking of a way to make it self aligning so the top sets down in just the right spot for the holes to line up. Or maybe just have the underside marked and labeled for alignment. Thats going to be a deluxe sewing table!
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Seems like a sensible plan to me. I would be thinking of a way to make it self aligning so the top sets down in just the right spot for the holes to line up. Or maybe just have the underside marked and labeled for alignment. Thats going to be a deluxe sewing table!
    Thanks. Only thought is to use some very small cleats on the underside of the table or drill some holes for locating pins that can be used and removed. Brian

Bases are complete and assembled so they can be disassembled.

20230520_091408.jpg20230520_091347.jpg
    Brian