Thread: Trimming fireplace hearth with new 3/4" floors

Trimming fireplace hearth with new 3/4" floors

I am going to have only 5/8" from the new floor height to the top of the hearth. How would you trim/transition? Can't use factory reducer by cutting it down 5/8" thick, this would leave a thin point on the thinner edge? Thanks brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    You might have to make your own molding and do some creative finishing. I sometimes find a stock molding from the flooring supplier that works for cutting down, like 1/4 round or base shoe which is typically 1/2 X 3/4.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I would fit the flooring to it and not use molding. This is LVP, but wood would be done the same way. There is an expansion gap on the other end, with dabs of glue under this end. I hate thresholds at transitions too. I did use shoe molding against that curved wall, and the rest of the baseboard. This in a rental house.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-15-2023 at 8:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I would fit the flooring to it and not use molding. This is LVP, but wood would be done the same way. There is an expansion gap on the other end, with dabs of glue under this end. I hate thresholds at transitions too. I did use shoe molding against that curved wall, and the rest of the baseboard. This in a rental house.
    Tom:

This would raise my floor height overall and make all my transitions into the foyer, kitchen, and hall higher. I think I will have to mill something to 5/8" thick and put a bevel on the front edge stain, finish for the installers to cut and lay down. thanks brian
    Brian

I had this situation in our old property when I redid the wide pine flooring in two rooms of the 250 year old portion of the house. By adding a subfloor to stabilize things, it affected the interface with a fireplace (non-working at this point) in one room. I made up custom molding like Maurice mentioned to transition "down" to the stone hearth gently over about 2.5" or so. (I forget the exact dimension) I used mitered corners to frame things out and made sure things were not too tight in the front where it was parallel to the new flooring to help with wood movement.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I am going to have only 5/8" from the new floor height to the top of the hearth. How would you trim/transition? Can't use factory reducer by cutting it down 5/8" thick, this would leave a thin point on the thinner edge? Thanks brian
    If it were me, I would make my own transition piece. I've made all of the transitions that exist in our house and a even made one for my sister's house. There was an odd dimension level change from the kitchen to the dining room that made it difficult for any one in a wheel chair or even a walker, You don't have to come down to a knife edge on the thin portion of any transition. A 1/16" to 1/8" flat is perfectly acceptable or even a round over.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Got a picture of the hearth? Depending on how complex it was, I may not opt for a trim piece and instead replicate the existing and while the floor is removed, glue it to the bottom. In my first house I did this when we went from tile to hard-wood floors and the island in our kitchen was too tall. It was pretty easy to add a thin piece of MDF, sand and repaint the island and you'd never know I added an extension.

Thanks to everyone for your help. Brian