Thread: Want to buy: Snipes Bill Planes

Blog Entries

Want to buy: Snipes Bill Planes

Good day:

I am looking for a matched set of snipes bills in good usable condition. I can’t afford new!

Thanks,

Malcolm

Cannot recall ever hearing the name snipes bill prior. Had to Google it. $500 for a right and left!

I don't have any to sell, but I can loan you some if you need them for a current job. I can send them to you, and any other molding planes you need. I won't be using them any time soon, but would want them back when you finish your job.

I did check ebay, and there are some for sale in the UK for reasonable amounts. The shipping is just not cheap now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I don't have any to sell, but I can loan you some if you need them for a current job. I can send them to you, and any other molding planes you need. I won't be using them any time soon, but would want them back when you finish your job.

I did check ebay, and there are some for sale in the UK for reasonable amounts. The shipping is just not cheap now.
    That is very kind. I have a wide hollow that has sharp edges, and I use it like a snipes bill, but I am just wanting a set of my own actual snipes bills. I have plans to make a set in the long run.

I have purchased many antique tools (primarily Preston spokeshaves, but also a number of planes) from the ebay UK site. I have found that forward2me.com is more economical than the eBay global shipping program. Forward2me will combine multiple purchases into a single shipment to reduce the shipping costs. It also provides a choice of couriers, including Fedex and UPS. The ebay global shipping program seems to only use Royal Mail. Even though forward2me is less expensive than the eBay global shipping, the prices have definitely increased.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Good day:

I am looking for a matched set of snipes bills in good usable condition. I can’t afford new!

Thanks,

Malcolm
    The desire to purchase a matched set is wise. One snipe bill plane came to me in a box lot purchase of planes. So far bidding on a mate has not been successful. though it has been a while since trying.

Someday a mate may be shop made for it.

There are likely a few different sizes of snipes bills available.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Funny thought: I guess I can literally say I am Snipe hunting. If you know, you know.