Thread: Church project

Blog Entries

Church project

We noticed that a number of individuals at our church that go up onto the altar platform have difficulty getting back down the two steps across the front of the platform due to the color of the carpet. This is particularly true of people who go up from the left side where there is a small section of the platform that does not have any steps. No one has any idea why the design was done this way, but there is about a 30 inch section of the platform where there are no steps. This leaves a drop off of about 14". The trustees noticed this problem and wanted to do something about it. I volunteered to design a removable railing for the edge of the steps and this 30" section where there are no steps. The idea was to match the existing communion railing in design and color. The plan was approved and I proceeded to get quotes for the metal welded pieces needed for the railing. We selected the low bid from a reputable local company. I made and attached all the wooden parts and stained them to match. I went to the local Sherwin Williams paint store for the stain. Their stain wasn't cheap, but it was a perfect match.

Here is the completed project:
    20230514_102642.jpg
    IMG_8554.jpg
    IMG_8551.jpg
    IMG_8556.jpg

Thanks for viewing
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-14-2023 at 7:22 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Very nice Lee. A perfect match and all those Tapcon screws will make it stand up to anything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post
    Very nice Lee. A perfect match and all those Tapcon screws will make it stand up to anything.
    A 200# person falling into the railing will exert over 1100 pounds of force on the top two screws that are rated at 700# each, so there is some safety factor built in since we didn't know the strength rating of the concrete.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute