Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any options for a small bevel gauge?

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hmmm...
    Attachment 501404
    Rosewood, Brass, Blued Steel...what's not to love?
    Stanley SW No. 20, 6"
    I used to have a couple Disstons with this construction. Really nice pieces. The Stanley #18 stole my heart and the Disstons moved on.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Derek, that's showing off! Those Vesper Bevel's are a tool I have lusted over for years. I was fortunate enough to mess around with one at a Lie Nielson Open House in Warren, Maine. The action of the locking mechanism was like something I've never handled before in a sliding bevel. I own a Blue Spruce sliding bevel, which I really love, but the Vesper locking mechanism is sooo much better executed. I assume this comes down to the precision he works at as well as the quality in materials. Unfortunately I have waited too long to actually pull the trigger on one as everything he sells is "not available" for quit some time.

Agreed. The Vespers are as much art as utility.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

If anyone has one of these 4" Blue Spruce or Vesper units available I'd be interested.

Does the Shinwa lock good and tight? I have their other style and the slightest knock will throw it off. I suppose I need to use a screwdriver from now on. But, I always wanted one with the lock mechanism at the butt end.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    I use both an 8” Shinwa and a WP bevel gauge. I find myself reaching for the Shinwa more often as it is lighter.

Might not be small enough for the OPs needs but it locks up tight without the need for tools. Good price and works well.

https://taytools.com/products/shinwa...ss-steel-blade
    Last edited by James White; 05-19-2023 at 7:34 AM.

James, from my experience with them both, the bottom locking one (from Keegan's link) locks up tight but the other model they offer, the one with the side thumbscrew, does not. Other members have said you need to use a screwdriver on the latter.