Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any options for a small bevel gauge?

Charles is correct. This is a store in Oz ...

https://www.timbecon.com.au/crown-100mm-sliding-bevel

Note that is in AUD. Much cheaper in USD.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I looked up the Crucible one. It says that it’s small with a 4” blade. Iirc, that’s the same size as the smaller BS one.
    When I visited Lost art Press earlier this month I had occasion to check this bevel out. It's gorgeous. Fit and finish is excellent and the tactile element is really nice. For a small bevel it has some nice heft to it. The mechanism is very clever.

That said, I'd rather not need to use a screwdriver to lock the bevel. The mechanism, while clever, seems much like a really cool solution that's looking for a problem. It's pretty spendy too.

I have a collection of Stanley #18 Bevels in various sizes. I've seen them as small as 6". I really like the locking mechanisms as they stay out of the way. Solid as a rock too. I don't think I gave more than $20 for any of these.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

iGaging makes a 6" bevel gauge which is a copy of a BC gauge or some other boutique maker. It needs some edge softening and such (something you would you expect for 18$), but it works great, the lock is dead tight and the gauge is quite thin. This is the smallest one sold I've seen, if a smaller one is needed I would think about making my own from some soft metal and wood.

Shinwa, btw, expects you tighten theirs with a screwdriver or a coin according to their manual. It was explained that a bevel gauge stays locked in one position until a project is over. From practical standpoint it's a good tip: it's better to own several gauges, set bevels once at the beginning of a project, maybe mark them with a painter's tape and keep them separate in something like a box or a drawer. Get a another gauge for any new bevel. Same applies to marking gauges, and if this becomes a habit, even wedged gauges stop being a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Charles is correct. This is a store in Oz ...

https://www.timbecon.com.au/crown-100mm-sliding-bevel

Note that is in AUD. Much cheaper in USD.

Regards from Perth

Derek

$20 Rockler.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

IF you happen to look through a couple of my box making threads...the ones with the through dovetails....you WILL see me using a Stanley SW No.20 , 6" Bevel Gauge/square...

The Sargent's Patent one might be a bit too big for the OP....
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I personally would pick up the Crucible Tool bevel if I was in the market for a small blade bevel. Crucible's is pricey but the features look amazing!! The fact that it can be banged around and still keep the setting is enough to sell me on it. I also really like the feature of being able to adjust blade projection while keeping the angle setting. That seems like a super useful feature!

You guys aren't looking very hard. Crown has made a 4" sliding bevel for darn near forever. Cheap and utilitarian. Rockler, Woodcraft, Amazon, etc. Twenty bucks and up. Use your Google-Foo.

Tools for working wood has a small Marples one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This may be your best bet for finding on that is affordable. The smallest Stanley made appears to be 6".

I made something similar:

Attachment 501330

This was to help keep a file at the same angle when sharpening crosscut saws. It wouldn't be too difficult to make one as a bevel gauge.

jtk
    I still hope to make a square and a proper bevel. I have Jim Koepke's contributions bookmarked.
    Be There to Be Square
    Best Regards, Maurice

These are the ones I use:

The two on the right are by Chris Vesper. They are THE best - lock easily and very securely, feel solid in the hand … no flex to the blades. The Stanley is a similar design, externally, but a world away in materials and finish. But acceptable.

The small, 4” Vesper is frequently used for marking dovetails. So useful.

Pester Chris for one. He is there but rather busy.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    End locking is a nice feature. I think I will look inside my all steel General.

US Patent: 104,206 - The Diamond Bevel

US Patent: 136,714 - Improvement in Carpenters' Bevels
    Best Regards, Maurice

I use both an 8” Shinwa and a WP bevel gauge. I find myself reaching for the Shinwa more often as it is lighter.

Might not be small enough for the OPs needs but it locks up tight without the need for tools. Good price and works well.

https://taytools.com/products/shinwa...ss-steel-blade

I have a set of the Stanley #18 bevel gauges, the body sizes are 4,5,6” and then I have a 6” with a long blade.
    2A62D06E-2C91-4A78-B103-06324B7DBBD9.jpg
    and here is a pic of some of my smalls, and a little planking bevel gauge I made.
    73F4AA1D-38DB-4698-90E1-3391F18E1A14.jpg
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Hmmm...
    A Square Hole, Bevel Gauge .JPG
    Rosewood, Brass, Blued Steel...what's not to love?
    Stanley SW No. 20, 6"
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use