Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accu-Burr Carbide Burnisher

I was concerned that the Accu-Burr, using two handles, prevented the process of drawing out steel prior to the formation of the burr/hook. Drawing out the steel creates a larger burr, and also work hardens the steel for a longer lasting edge.

I tested this out by drawing an edge with my usual burnisher, and then using the Accu-Burr to turn the hook. The resulting shaving was indeed larger as the edge bit more deeply into the wood. Consequently, I removed a handle so that one end of the Accu-Burr could be used to do duel duties.

The two burnishers, with the Accu-Burr at the front ...

Drawing out steel ...

Burnishing the hook (one hand used to hold the camera) ..

This is a nice tool. Not essential, but it provides a consistent hook.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 05-20-2023 at 12:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Purchase one of the Accu-Burr Burnisher and have given it some use.

It did a good job on my concave scraper and an old piece of saw blade.

Not getting the nice fluffy curls like Derek, but better shavings than in the past when using a scraper.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Just some additional data to add to Derek's post. I picked up an Accu-Burr with a Lee Valley Xmas gift card. Like Derek I find that pulling the edge prior to turning the burr gave a superior result. Super fast and easy. Some things just work. I happen to have some old handles from grandpa. He used them for jewelry files. I have re-handled those files but, kept grandpa's handles for sentimental reasons. I plugged and re-drilled them. Now at least a couple of them have a new purpose.

Scraper Burnisher (1).jpg . Scraper Burnisher (4).jpg

Without pulling the edge.
    Scraper Burnisher (5).jpg

Pulling the edge.
    Scraper Burnisher (6).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I was hesitant to spend that much on a little piece of carbide but I can attest it does work. As Dereck says fit only one handle as drawing out the produces better results.