Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It finally happened to me!

It finally happened to me!

I ordered a grinding wheel dresser from Amazon. That thing is going to have several thousand miles on it before it arrives, though it's out for delivery. Look at this USPS shipping data. Mind you, Kennewick, WA is just 130 miles west of here.

Saturday, May 13
    6:10 AM
    Package is out for delivery.
    Lewiston, ID
    5:48 AM
    Package arrived at a carrier facility.
    Lewiston, ID US
    4:57 AM
    Package transferred to another carrier for delivery.
    Lewiston, ID US
    2:48 AM
    Package left the carrier facility.
    Kennewick, WA US
    2:28 AM
    Package left an Amazon facility.
    Spokane, Washington US
    Friday, May 12
    8:14 PM
    Package arrived at an Amazon facility.
    Spokane, Washington US
    12:19 PM
    Seatac, Washington US
    11:02 AM
    Seatac, Washington US
    5:18 AM
    Kennewick, WA US
    4:58 AM
    Seatac, WA US
    Thursday, May 11
    9:42 PM
    Seatac, WA US
    7:48 PM
    Rockford, IL US
    4:40 PM
    Rockford, IL US
    7:56 AM
    Kennewick, WA US
    Carrier picked up the package.
    Times are shown in the local timezone.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    It is going to be an excellent dresser with a wheel that is well rounded from all of those miles!

Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 7.02.26 PM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-13-2023 at 8:41 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

There's an Amazon vortex near Seattle that seems to do that.
    I've had two shipments from Crucial/Micron (in Idaho) get hung up in a tight orbit around SeaTac for days on end.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

May 1st, had a package shipped from mid state NY. Tuesday, May second, package is in local USPS distribution center. Then it headed north, first to Richmond VA, then to Newburgh NY. Left Newburgh, only to return two days later. Left Newburgh second time bound for Newark NJ, then on to Raleigh where it was a week and a day earlier. Finally arrived on Thursday, May 11th. Only took NINE DAYS for it to travel less than twenty five miles from local distribution center to my mail box. All total, package went thru eleven USPS centers on it wayward journey. Shipping label was totally intact. Earlier this year, ordered some WB floor finish from Amazon. After three failures, finally arrived, only to be satin rather than gloss that I ordered. Last year, ordered a flooring stapler from Amazon, with over night delivery. Over night wound up being four days. Recently had another package returned with delivery refused, which was strange as I was here all day that day.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 05-13-2023 at 9:08 PM.

It does seem strange that your package had to travel so far, especially when its destination is only 130 miles away. There are a few possible reasons for this:
    * The package may have been shipped from a warehouse that was out of stock of the grinding wheel dresser. In this case, Amazon may have shipped the item from a warehouse that was closer to the customer, but it may have taken some time for the item to be shipped from the manufacturer.
    * The package may have been shipped using a slower shipping method than the customer had selected. This could have happened if the customer's preferred shipping method was not available, or if the customer's order was placed during a busy time of year.
    * There may have been a problem with the package's tracking information. This could have happened if the package was scanned incorrectly at one of the shipping facilities, or if the package was lost or damaged in transit.
    If you are concerned about the tracking information for your package, you can contact Amazon customer service for assistance. They will be able to track the package and provide you with an update on its delivery status.
    In the meantime, you can try to be patient. It may take some time for your package to arrive, but it should eventually make its way to you.
    Kindness Every Day......All Day

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    May 1st, had a package shipped from mid state NY. Tuesday, May second, package is in local USPS distribution center. Then it headed north, first to Richmond VA, then to Newburgh NY. Left Newburgh, only to return two days later. Left Newburgh second time bound for Newark NJ, then on to Raleigh where it was a week and a day earlier. Finally arrived on Thursday, May 11th. Only took NINE DAYS for it to travel less than twenty five miles from local distribution center to my mail box. All total, package went thru eleven USPS centers on it wayward journey. Shipping label was totally intact. Earlier this year, ordered some WB floor finish from Amazon. After three failures, finally arrived, only to be satin rather than gloss that I ordered. Last year, ordered a flooring stapler from Amazon, with over night delivery. Over night wound up being four days. Recently had another package returned with delivery refused, which was strange as I was here all day that day.
    It sounds like you've also had some frustrating experiences with USPS recently. It's definitely not normal for packages to travel so far or take so long to arrive. There are a few possible explanations for why this might be happening:
    * USPS is understaffed and overworked. The Postal Service has been struggling financially for years, and as a result, it has been forced to cut back on staff. This has led to longer delivery times and more delays.
    * USPS is dealing with a surge in package volume. The pandemic has led to a surge in online shopping, and USPS is struggling to keep up with the demand. This is causing delays and congestion at many shipping facilities.
    * There may be a problem with your local USPS distribution center. If you're having problems with packages that are being shipped through a particular distribution center, you may want to contact your local postmaster to see if there's anything they can do to help.
    If you're continue to have problems with USPS, you may want to consider using a different shipping carrier. There are a number of private shipping companies that offer competitive rates and reliable service.
    Kindness Every Day......All Day

The package did arrive, I used the two diamond grinding wheel dressers and they worked as advertised. The edge on my bedan looks great now.

BTW, the package wasn't supposed to deliver until Sunday!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-14-2023 at 11:53 AM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Here's my yesterday story. FedEx strikes again. Used to love those guys. This year has been a nightmare.

Biologic medication shipped from pharmaceutical company via FedEx on Thursday. Needs to remain very climate controlled until its arrival Friday, between 10:30am and 1:30pm, per FedEx's website. Signature required. Value - $$Thousands.

Well after waiting home all day, when it hits 3pm on Friday, I check FedEx's website and it says the package is still in Memphis, TN. Presumably at their hub. Well I call FedEx, and get a representative with an extremely thick Indian accent who takes >10 attempts to get tracking number from me. Is constantly repeating it back wrong. 30 minute conversation, in which he is repeatedly told that the medication will be ruined, and they will be responsible for thousands for the claim. He can't successfully get my e-mail address, despite me repeating it at least 20 times phonetically, and then trying several simpler e-mail addresses. He basically understands little English. Despite many requests, he refuses to put a supervisor on the phone.

Well, when I looked late Friday night on FedEx's website, the package arrived at the Tampa facility about 5:30pm on Friday evening. They could have sent over a truck to specially deliver it, as otherwise they would be responsible for thousands of dollars for the claim. But no, their website says it will be delivered Monday between 10:30am and 1:30pm (yeah, right - plus the overnight perishable package will have been sitting in their warehouse, not refrigerated for 4 days), whereupon the contents will be ruined. How dumb are they (incompetent) to not deliver the package Friday evening after the phone call informing them of their potential loss for the claim?

Second perishable package they have destroyed coming to me over the past 6 months, each costing them $$$.

I've stopped using them, but I wish the companies I dealt with would.

Sorry to vent, Ken. But this just happened. I've also sent a FedEx package from my house in Florida to an address 1/4 mile away and watched as it was transported to Tampa, then Memphis, back to Tampa, and delivered in St. Pete. 1400 miles total.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have had my share of head scratching moments with all of the shipping companies but as a rule all are quite reliable. In recent history, though, I think it is Amazon that is causing more issues than not. They set the bar with prompt deliveries of one or two days for several years. Now a quick delivery for Prime customers might be 4 or 5 days or worse.
    Alan's case of a package taking a scenic roadtrip throughout the southeastern US is a bit odd but not surprising for a hub delivery business like FedEx. What had me wondering is why ship via FedEx when the recipient is essentially down the street. I realize there are always reasons but this one seems like it could have been an evening stroll after dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    I have had my share of head scratching moments with all of the shipping companies but as a rule all are quite reliable. In recent history, though, I think it is Amazon that is causing more issues than not. They set the bar with prompt deliveries of one or two days for several years. Now a quick delivery for Prime customers might be 4 or 5 days or worse.
    Alan's case of a package taking a scenic roadtrip throughout the southeastern US is a bit odd but not surprising for a hub delivery business like FedEx. What had me wondering is why ship via FedEx when the recipient is essentially down the street. I realize there are always reasons but this one seems like it could have been an evening stroll after dinner.
    I can't remember the scenario, but there was a reason behind it. I think a legal contract that needed proof of delivery.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

There is something to look forward to. Holiday shipping.

Not a package but 1st class letters. Philadelphia --> Wisconsin 2 days, not bad, what used to be the norm. Wisconsin --> Philadelphia 8 days! A local congressman held hearings on why the performance of the Philadelphia USPS is so bad. It doesn't seem to have helped. I will say that I did the same thing this time using priority mail both ways. 2 days there, 3 days back. That is what I'd expect though at several times the price.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to vent, Ken. But this just happened. I've also sent a FedEx package from my house in Florida to an address 1/4 mile away and watched as it was transported to Tampa, then Memphis, back to Tampa, and delivered in St. Pete. 1400 miles total.
    Not sure if this is still FedEx standard procedure. Any package no matter where it is going is sent to their hub and processed and routed to its destination.

"Standard operating procedure" is one of those things that should have guidelines for when they should be set aside.

It does seem coincidental that another company, Kinkos, was acquired by FedEx. In my days as a repair technician for copying equipment I witnessed a few occasions where Kinkos "SOP" damaged customer's art and other equipment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

i think part of the problem with the USPS is that their scanners don't always read the shipping number correctly. I had a package that was in NY on it's way here when all of a sudden it was in Florida. When that happens the system seems to get confused and it takes a few days (or more) to sort things out.

Blog Entries
    I / We have had some interesting "too fast" shipping experiences. There is a storage & shipping facility in our town called Sub Terra, an underground storage facility. A Tennant there stores packing peanuts and ADA toiler seat risers (among other things). Both of which I have ordered online early in the morning and had them show up later the same day.
    IMG_1338.jpg
    Best Regards, Maurice