Thread: The little drawer

The little drawer

Recap: The build is a pair of night stands, bedside tables in a Krenov-Mid Century Danish style. The case is Tasmanian Oak (which is a Eucalyptus, but resembles a White Oak) and the base will be Jarrah (which grows in small quantities in Western Australia). Each case is bow-fronted, and at the side rear is a little drawer ...

I added the little drawer for interest, and to break up all the light wood. The light Tasmanian Oak will contrast against the dark Jarrah, and the little drawer should link in nicely. What goes in the little drawer? You could keep a watch, rings, earrings, and other small, precious items.

The drawer was an interesting puzzle. As you can see here, it hangs in space ...

Well, obviously the drawer does not hang in space. It rests on a platform ...

The notable feature of the little drawer is that it cannot run in a drawer case, and is supported only on one side.

The platform is built up to create a box, which is screwed to the base of the case ...

The drawer is not your common garden design dovetailed drawer ...

The drawer box is dovetailed all around, except for a connecting sliding dovetail.

Here the waste is removed with the miniature Veritas router plane ...

The drawer parts ...

The slot for the drawer slide was a first for me, using the MFT table and router on the track ...

The bolt for the track acts as a guide as well as a drawer stop. The Jarrah section at the end is to reinforce the panel and prevent any splitting at the end of the groove.

More later.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Interesting, & thanks for the write-up,

but I don't think Krenov made any casework with mitered corners. Maybe the stand will be more the Krenov part...

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    Interesting, & thanks for the write-up,

but I don't think Krenov made any casework with mitered corners. Maybe the stand will be more the Krenov part...
    Correct Cameron. Mid Century Danish case and Krenov stand/base.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    The little drawer on the side is a great idea. Wish my night stand had that so I could stash my glasses there. That would keep the cats from walking on them and/or knocking them on the floor.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ........ I could stash my glasses there........
    Back in college days, Ida stashed my stash in there. Glasses were for scotch.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Back in college days, Ida stashed my stash in there. Glasses were for scotch.
    Back in college days I didn't need glasses.

The scotch and other beverages came in a big glass we could pass around.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Wow, that's awesome.

Will you have a drawer pull? Or some other way of opening it?

Thanks Clifford. It will likely have a pull. Not sure yet of the design I will make.

Regards from Perth

Derek

interesting
    Tom

So Nice Derek!! I love this design and wood choice a lot!

Thanks Tony!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Derek, I love, love, love the little drawer! In all the casework furniture, I built for my two boys, I’ve always included hidden drawers/compartments (similar to your idea of placing a drawer it doesn’t really typically belong), and it’s always been their favorite part of the build.

Super cool, design element, and as usual brilliantly executed.

I’m curious about the MFT router track; What is the intended application/utility? Is it sort of like a stinking board for shooting moldings?

Thanks again for sharing your work – always interesting and inspirational!

Cheers, Mike.

Mike,

The MFT setup works great for routing square mid-panel sliding dovetails.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Derek, I love, love, love the little drawer! In all the casework furniture, I built for my two boys, I’ve always included hidden drawers/compartments (similar to your idea of placing a drawer it doesn’t really typically belong), and it’s always been their favorite part of the build.

Super cool, design element, and as usual brilliantly executed.

I’m curious about the MFT router track; What is the intended application/utility? Is it sort of like a stinking board for shooting moldings?

Thanks again for sharing your work – always interesting and inspirational!

Cheers, Mike.
    Thanks Mike

I built the MFT initially for work holding for power tools (when routing and sanding) ...

Then added a shop made hinge for a track ...

The track saw is obvious - great for docking and really accurate cross cuts ...

Now, before I built the MFT, and before the track saw, I had purchased Makita track along with the Makita router track guide for just this task. Once the MFT was up and running, it was obvious to use it this was ...

The router track guide ...

Regards from Perth

Derek