Thread: W.T.B. Union Tool Plane Cap Iron Screw

W.T.B. Union Tool Plane Cap Iron Screw

I would like to buy a Union Tool Company Cap iron screw for a Number 8 Plane. If you have one you could part with please send me a P.M. Thanks.

Just FYI, my understanding is that Stanley acquired Union in the 1920's.
    So not sure if the cap screw threads might have changed then - maybe we'd need to know which Union version you have.

I *think* prior to the acquisition the lever caps had no logo, and after they had the "UNION" name on the lever cap.
    Can anyone confirm?

Blog Entries
    Stanley did acquire the Union Plane Co. in about 1920. That is also when most sources say the cap iron was branded.

Some sources indicate Stanley ended production of Union Planes when the supply of Union parts was exhausted. Though the twisted lateral lever was used on many second and third tier Stanley made planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

James,
    The Union #8 has an unbranded lever cap, and I have tried a Stanley lever cap screw - it does not fit (have both sizes of Stanley lever cap screws). It may be almost impossible to find the screw i need.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Prandoni View Post
    James,
    The Union #8 has an unbranded lever cap, and I have tried a Stanley lever cap screw - it does not fit (have both sizes of Stanley lever cap screws). It may be almost impossible to find the screw i need.
    Stanley used odd threads. You may find a common bolt with the proper threading. That would be a good starting point.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Just checked the threads on a Stanley lever cap screw it is 9/32-24, that is kind of an odd size/pitch.

https://www.victornet.com/subdepartm...-1-2/1260.html < does carry that size tap.

If you knew the size and pitch of the bolt and it was a commonly available size, it wouldn't be too difficult to make something from a hardware store bolt.

If you have a friendly hardware person in the area they might be happy to help. I have to cross the river into Oregon now to find an old style hardware store. Two big box stores, a tractor supply and a Wilco store locally kind of killed the business for our old fashioned hardware store.

jtk

Jim,
    Fortunately there is one old type of hardware store here in Winchester VA. The big box and others have almost run all the others out of business, i'll try there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Prandoni View Post
    Jim,
    Fortunately there is one old type of hardware store here in Winchester VA. The big box and others have almost run all the others out of business, i'll try there.
    The first order of business is seeing if there is a bolt to match the threads. From there it is finding the correct type of screw or one that can be easily modified.

If my recollector is working lever cap screws are usually of the oval head variety.

jtk