Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bridgewood PBS -440

Bridgewood PBS -440

Hello,

I am considering buying a Bridgewood PBS 440 bandsaw for sale for $1000. It appears to have been made in 1992. It looks like a nice saw and what I could find about it people seem to like them, but there isn't a lot of information on them. Are these saws direct drive? I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice based on there experience with them. I have a 20" crescent bandsaw that is decent, but definitely tired and could use some attention.

Anyone think this is an upgrade, or a lateral move, or a bad move? While the capabilities would be similar, I imagine that the Bridgewood would be a smother running machine.

Thanks in advance!

See links below. sounds like it is made by Laguna. C face motor but belt drive. Also sold as the Laguna 16 hd
    Bill D.

See page 10 and 16 in manual

https://860860.app.netsuite.com/core...a74e5&_xt=.pdf

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-Bandsaw-motor

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....roblems-Solved

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....aguna-bandsaws
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-13-2023 at 9:47 AM.

To the OP: That saw is (was) made by ACM of Italy. There are several distributors over the years who either did or still do sell ACM bandsaws under their own individual labels. Any Italian bandsaw will be very high quality but obviously, you would want to take a look at how your particular machine has been cared for. Hope this helps and good luck in your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    See links below. sounds like it is made by Laguna. C face motor but belt drive. Also sold as the Laguna 16 hd
    Bill D.

NOT ACCURATE !The Laguna 16HD and the Bridgewood PBS are entirely different animals. Not really even close.

The 16HD has a frame that is about twice as strong as the 18” (roughly) Bridgewood. It also has about 4” more resaw capacity and 1-2 more h.p. depending on vintage.

The correct comparison is Laguna’s LT18 which is nearly identical during the same period except for the paint colors and switches. Laguna also changed to American sourced motors later in their run.

Additionally the manual you link is way newer than the vintage saws discussed here. And , while helpful and similar to 90’s saws that manual is not entirely accurate for that era.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-19-2023 at 3:17 PM.

Thank you guys for your input. Sounds like, whatever the exact model to compare to is, this is likely a decent saw. For what it is worth, it has a Seimec motor. The plate is a little hard to read in the photos, but it looks like it is 3 phase 2.8 (?) kw. The photos make it look well cared for, we'll see. Hopefully I'll get to take a look at it in a day or two.

There should be more info to be got by looking for the ACM SNAC machines,
    or in fact, likely old Felder's if you can find 440, or Griggio SNAC.

I think there maybe have been 2 or more factories which ACM owned, clarification needed, could be moved either,
    the main or present one from what I gather is Novelara, but Reschigliano is on the badges of some odd looking backwards built Griggio SNAC machines,
    GRIGGIO_SNAC_640_Båndsav___Bandsaw.jpgGRIGGIO SNAC 640 Båndsav Bandsaw.jpg

Been looking at a few of these recently, one thing to note being different is the trunnions, some are longer than others on both SNA, and SNAC 40 series, and most of those
    spec'd to tilt to 45, but examples of the compact trunnion also exist tilting to 45.
    https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...bigger-bandsaw

The tables may have a lesser deepened mitre slot compared to Laguna, could be a different table, compared to the SNAC, I don't know.
    I think the little dust box might not be apparent on some?, I wasn't looking for that.
    Screenshot-2022-10-13 ACM BS 440 Vertical Band Saw (vat 20% is included in the price ) eBay.jpgScreenshot-2022-11-7 Griggio Band Saw 240 Volt Good working condition eBay.jpg

Good luck, listen carefully for noise of the top wheel, if you can..as with any machine.
    Tom

When I get a new machine like that I try to unbelt the motor and listen to the motor run by itself. Then spin the machine by itself and listen for noisy bearings stuff rubbing guards etc.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Beck View Post
    Thank you guys for your input. Sounds like, whatever the exact model to compare to is, this is likely a decent saw. For what it is worth, it has a Seimec motor. The plate is a little hard to read in the photos, but it looks like it is 3 phase 2.8 (?) kw. The photos make it look well cared for, we'll see. Hopefully I'll get to take a look at it in a day or two.
    Unless you have three phase, that’s going to make that saw less of a deal. Or not one at all. And, a hassle .

I’d double check that because Bridgewood / Wilke wasn’t really into industrial three phase stuff that I remember. That’s not to say they wouldn’t order you a saw with that type motor.

Three phase might be nice use. a VFD and get power brakes with no moving parts.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Three phase might be nice use. a VFD and get power brakes with no moving parts.
    Bill D
    Since the saw already has a manual brake with motor switch it kinda makes the VFD feature moot.

But you still get to pay for and program and re-program the VFD just to get it to run.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-19-2023 at 3:16 PM.

How much does a 4 h.p. Vfd go for these days? I have native three phase power in my (Australian) garage yet I still run a vfd on my 24” saw for its soft start and braking functions. It’s a Chinese unit, unlike the name brand VFDs on some of my other machines, but it only took 9.4 minutes to program, and 6.1 minutes of that was spent making espresso and finding my thinking cap.
    Last edited by Greg Quenneville; 05-19-2023 at 1:04 AM.

To Dave’s point, that machine was marketed to the hobby market and “usually” would be sold with a single-phase motor. That being said, it could also be a single-phase, 50 Hz motor. That was a thing in 80’s and 90’s. The motor ID plate will answer all these questions.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

You can get a cheap / used on for a couple hundred bucks. But most people (especially with no experience) are not going to be able to set up a VFD from outa the box in 3 minutes.

And there there’s also the time you’ll spend wiring and mounting of the drive.

None of it is rocket science , but it still takes time learnin and a do-in to make it all work properly. Plus added cost. Which, makes the “deal” less attractive. Still may be worth it. Might not.

It may be cheaper to buy a VFD then to buy the custom brake pads used on my lathe. When that wears out I will just disengage the brakes and use only dynamic braking. The 600 group is known for crazy high part prices.
    Bill D

I picked up the saw a couple days ago and it is great. It is a little smaller than I was expecting, so it might not be replacing my 20" delta, but it is a welcome addition to my shop! The glare on the picture of the motor tag was hard to read. It is in fact single phase 220, 1.8 kw. It is 30 years old and in near mint condition, so I am pretty happy with it. While negotiating with the seller he included a makita 2040 planer for an additional $200. So I am hoping to unload that and recoup a little money on the bandsaw.

Does anyone have any idea what a 2040 in good shape would be worth? I see them for sale for anywhere from $300 to $1250..... This one appears to have newish feed rollers and 3 sets of knives. The owner was a hobbyist with a dry basement shop

Beyond that, I do have a phase converter, so that would not have been a problem.... good looking out though!

Thanks for everyone's advise.