Thread: Streaming Services and RUKU

Streaming Services and RUKU

We cut the cord on Direct TV last week Now we need to subscribe to a streaming service. My question is because we have two televisions in different rooms, will I need a RUKU device for each? Can they both be fed from one streaming service, via our wireless router? Any recommendations on streaming services?

Roku and similar devices are dedicated to the TV they are intended to serve and plug in via HDMI. You will need two devices. If you have smart TVs that are reasonably currently, you may not even need the Roku because smart TVs have the streaming apps built in.

We use Hulu +LiveTV here. (AppleTV devices instead of Roku)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-13-2023 at 3:22 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We have a fire stick plugged into an HDMI splitter feeding 2 screens. We like having the same content on in living room and kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    We have a fire stick plugged into an HDMI splitter feeding 2 screens. We like having the same content on in living room and kitchen.
    Been considering that too. How long is your HDMI cable? I've not looked into the max length but if I did that it would need to be l o n g.

Yup, one device per TV and yes, newer TVs might have Roku or other streaming services built in. Being the grumpy curmudgeon that I am, I got Roku boxes that can use either wifi or wired ethernet. WiFi has worked well so far, no signal interruptions but this townhouse is conventional construction - framing and drywall so not much to inhibit wifi signals.

As far as streaming services, Roku has their own channel which has a surprising amount of free content NFL channel, local TV stations but no network content so mostly local news and local interest programs. From what I've seen so far, Hulu plus live streaming or Google TV seem to most closely duplicate cable TV offerings. You just have to look at available channel offerings on the various services and see which ones offer what you watch most and cost per month. All the streaming services I've looked at are month to month, no contracts. If you sign up for one and are disappointed just cancel it and try another. The downside of no contract is that rates can also change. Google TV recently went from $64.99/month to $72.99/month, supposedly due to what Google has to pay content producers - ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC and various studios. I'm saving about $60/month over traditional internet, cable and cell phone service.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-13-2023 at 11:56 AM.

About 50'. I think the splitter adds some gain.

We have 4 smart TV's in our house, each with a Roku device working off WiFi and two Roku's in out 5th wheel trailer.

We went from Directv satellite to Directv stream, same service but about $130+ cheaper for the same service. A month ago, when Directv stream upped their price we switched to YouTubeTV and so far love it. About $74 per month.

If you need to go a long distance you can do HDMI over Ethernet. You can do 4K up to around 150 ft, 1080P at twice that distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    We cut the cord on Direct TV last week Now we need to subscribe to a streaming service. My question is because we have two televisions in different rooms, will I need a RUKU device for each? Can they both be fed from one streaming service, via our wireless router? Any recommendations on streaming services?
    Congratulations on cutting the cord! Streaming services are a great way to save money and watch your favorite shows and movies.
    To answer your question, you will need a Roku device for each TV if you want to watch different content on each TV at the same time. However, if you are only watching the same content on both TVs, you can use a single Roku device and cast the content to both TVs.
    Here are a few recommendations for streaming services:
    * Netflix: Netflix is one of the most popular streaming services, and it offers a wide variety of TV shows, movies, and documentaries. You can watch Netflix on multiple devices, including TVs, computers, smartphones, and tablets.
    * Hulu: Hulu is another popular streaming service that offers a variety of TV shows, movies, and original programming. Hulu also offers a live TV service that includes local channels, sports, and news.
    * Amazon Prime Video: Amazon Prime Video is a streaming service that comes with a free two-day shipping membership. Prime Video offers a variety of TV shows, movies, and original programming.
    * Disney+: Disney+ is a streaming service that offers a variety of Disney content, including movies, TV shows, and original programming. Disney+ also offers a live TV service that includes ESPN, ABC, and other channels.
    * HBO Max: HBO Max is a streaming service that offers a variety of HBO content, including movies, TV shows, and original programming. HBO Max also offers a live TV service that includes CNN, TNT, and other channels.
    These are just a few of the many streaming services that are available. The best streaming service for you will depend on your individual needs and preferences.
    Here are some things to consider when choosing a streaming service:
    * The content you want to watch: Make a list of the TV shows, movies, and other content that you want to watch. This will help you narrow down your choices.
    * The price: Streaming services vary in price, so it's important to find one that fits your budget.
    * The devices you want to use: Some streaming services are only available on certain devices. Make sure the service you choose is available on the devices you want to use.
    * The features you want: Some streaming services offer features like offline viewing, 4K streaming, and parental controls. Decide which features are important to you and choose a service that offers them.
    I hope this information helps you choose the best streaming service for your needs.
    Kindness Every Day......All Day

If you aren't dedicated to Roku and don't mind spending a few extra bucks I would go with the Nvidia Shield. I've tried them all and like it the best. I had settled on a Firestick (less restrictive than Roku) but the Shield just seems like it's more powerful and just works without thinking.

I had Dish but with all their price increases I gave up. About every 6 months their box would start having issues and they would replace it with another box that was poorly repaired. Since switching to streaming I haven't looked back. I can't offer advice for services as I know a guy who hooked me up. Also I use Plex to share stuff with friends.